While trying to activate Windows 10, several users encounter the error 0x8007007B on their PC. This bug typically occurs while installing a clean OS via the Media Creation tool or entering the product keys. Today, in this post, we discuss a few working solutions to get rid of this nagging issue and activate Windows 10.
In general, the error code 0x8007007B appears if you are using a non-genuine product key or the system files have become obsolete. This issue may also erupt when the Key Management Service is not working properly. To resolve the re-occurring error message, you should manually update the product key using either SLUI 3 or Slmgr -ipk command lines. To scan and repair the missing system files, you may use the SFC utility. If the error prevails even after this, visit Microsoft’s official website to buy a new license code.
Ways to Fix Windows 10 couldn’t be activated Error 0x8007007B
Here’s how to solve the error 0x8007007b while activating Windows 10 on your computer –
1. Update the Windows Product key manually
The activation error usually appears when the Key Management server fails to recognize the genuine product key. If that’s the case, you should either update the correct Windows product key or use the Digital License. Here’s how to perform this task –
- Press the Windows key and type cmd in the search bar.
- Right-click on the top result and choose Run as Administrator option.
- If the User Account Control window pops in, click Yes.
- When the command Prompt starts, copy/paste the below code and hit Enter.
slmgr -ipk xxxxx – xxxxx – xxxxx – xxxxx – xxxxx
Note: The crosses in the above code represents the genuine Windows 10 product key.
- If you have set any pass-value, insert the same and press the Enter key. Wait for a while as this takes a few seconds to activate the OS.
- At last, you will notice a popup message displaying “Windows 10 is successfully activated”.
2. Try the SLUI 3 command
If the above method fails to fix the Windows Activation Error 0x8007007B, you should run the SLUI 3 command. To do so, follow these easy steps –
- Jointly Press Win and R keys to launch the Run dialog.
- Type cmd at the void thereafter hold Ctrl & Shift keys followed by the Enter key.
- When the UAC window appears, click Yes.
- Now, copy/paste the below code followed by the Windows Recovery product key –
slui 3 xxxxx – xxxxx – xxxxx – xxxxx – xxxxx
Note: Here, x specifies the Windows activation key with a split between every five-digits.
- Once over, Reboot your PC and check whether it fixes the error 0x8007007B or not.
3. Scan the system files using SFC code
In certain cases, this is not an activation issue, hence using even the genuine keys won’t resolve the error message. Basically, this bug may also occur if some of the system files are missing or have become corrupt. To mitigate this trouble, you need to scan your entire PC for possible corrupt files and repair the same. We suggest using SFC utility to perform this task. Here’s how to proceed –
- Right-click anywhere on the taskbar and select Task Manager.
- Head over to the File menu and select Run new task.
- On the pop-up window, type cmd (admin) and tap the OK button.
- Now, type sfc/scannow code on the elevated console and press the Enter key.
- This usually takes a few minutes to scan and repair the missing/obsolete system files, so wait accordingly.
Once this is over, Reboot your PC so as to confirm the changes made so far.