Today, in this article, we will discuss one of the nagging issues i.e. Update error code 0x80246008 in Windows 10 PC. This problem, in general, occurs when users try to install the latest update on their system. The update-related issue is very common and users experience such trouble on a regular basis. Some may receive error codes while others not.
There might be different reasons behind this error 0x80246008 about which we will talk in detail. We have depicted 10 different ways to fix this update error on your System such as using SFC & DISM command, restart BITS services, Windows Event log services, tweak the registry, etc. You must be using a genuine version of Windows 10 otherwise these solutions may not help you to get rid of the trouble. If you are facing any of the below Error Messages, try our workarounds-
- Windows Store error 0x80246008
- Error 0x80246008 occurred while downloading update
- Windows update error
- Windows update not working Windows 10
Ways to Update error code 0x80246008 in Windows 10
Here, we have described step-wise methods to fix Update error code 0x80246008 in Windows 10 –
- Restart BITS services
- Windows Event Log service
- Perform SFC scan
- Run DISM command
- Tweak the registry
- Check your antivirus
- Run Windows Update troubleshooter
- Reset Windows Update components
- Download the update manually
- Perform an in-place upgrade
1. Restart BITS services
A possible workaround to fix Update error code 0x80246008 is by doing some changes in BITS Services. The wrong settings under this section may be responsible for this trouble. Here are the steps to follow-
- At first, press Win & R altogether to open the Run dialog box.
- Here, type
services.mscin the empty box then press OK to go ahead.
- Again locate Background Intelligent Transfer Service from the list.
- Once found, right-click on it and select the Properties option from the context menu.
- Later on, in the succeeding window, tap the General tab and move to the Startup section.
- Now select Automatic on the drop-down menu thereafter OK to confirm the changes.
In case the BITS is not running, right-click on it and choose the Restart option on the context menu.
2. Windows Event Log service
Like BITS, Windows Event log service may also be a potential culprit to let occur this trouble. Thus, you have to Restart these services. This method is a little bit complex, yet it can solve several known issues. To perform this task, follow the instructions written below-
- At first, tap the Search icon on the taskbar and type
services.mscin the text bar.
- Now click on the well-matched result to launch the Services window.
- Again, reach out to Windows Event Log on the list, once found do the right click on it.
- If this option is not available there, select the Restart option on the context menu.
- Thereafter, hit Properties and set Automatic on Startup type category.
- Succeeding after that, make a click on OK to confirm the changes then close the current Window.
At last, Restart your system and try to update your PC again. Hope this time, Update error code 0x80246008 won’t occur. If not, try the next workarounds.
3. Perform SFC scan
A few users managed to fix Windows 10 update issues using this System file checker utility. Sometimes, corrupt files can cause an update error code 0x80246008 on your System. This may damage several installed files, but there is a way out there to fix it. This is by using either SFC or DISM scans. Here is the step-wise procedure-
- At first, make a right-click on Taskbar and choose the Task Manager option on the context menu.
- Now move to the left top corner and select File followed by the Run new Task option.
- Type cmd in text box thereafter simultaneously hit CTRL+SHIFT +Enter to open command prompt as Administrator.
- If the UAC window appears up, click Yes to authorize the access.
- Here type
sfc/scannownear blinking cursor on the prompt then hit Enter to start scanning.
Here you need to wait approx. 10-15 minutes till the task is finished. Once completed, Reboot your system and try to update your system again. If the issue still carries on, try the next workaround.
4. Run DISM command
- First of all, go to Cortana and type Command Prompt.
- Now make a right-click on the best-matched result then select Run as administrator from the Context menu.
- When the prompt appears up, write the following code at the blinking cursor and press Enter at the end.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- This code takes approx. 15 minutes to complete scanning, hence don’t interrupt the task. After the execution is completed, check again for Update Error code 0x80246008 on your PC.
5. Tweak registry
If you are still having the same trouble, this workaround might help to fix this issue. This operation is a little bit complex in operation, therefore complete the task as commanded below-
- Tap the Search icon on the System tray and type cmd.
- From the appeared options, right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- If the User Account Control window appears, hit Yes to permit the access. Here type the following-
- Make sure to hit Enter so as to start executing the above code.
- Next, type
services.mscin the search bar and click the top result.
- Locate Background Intelligent Transfer Service from the list then make a right-click on it.
- Select Stop from the context menu option thereafter selects Start it again.
6. Check your antivirus
Sometimes external applications may also cause Update related issues on your System. Therefore, disable any antivirus program or block its features to remove this from the suspect list. Here is how to proceed-
At first, open Control Panel and select Category on the “View by” drop-down menu.
Now on the View screen, select Program then uninstalls third-party apps under the program and features section.
Once you have removed the antivirus, Reboot your PC so that leftover files may also get deleted.
|Note: You can always use Windows Defender the inbuilt antivirus app instead of any third-party software.|
7. Run Windows Update troubleshooter
Windows update troubleshooter is yet another possible workaround to solve this Update error code 0x80246008. It is there to solve update-related issues and fix them if possible. Here are the steps-
- Press the Win logo and I to launch Settings.
- Once the page comes in View, tap the Update & Security category.
- Navigate to the Troubleshoot option at the left column then hit Windows update on the right pane.
- Select Run the troubleshooter, the rest is taken care of by the Windows update troubleshooter.
8. Reset Windows Update components
In certain scenarios, services may not run properly in your system. If that’s the case, there may arise bugs like update error code 0x80246008. You can fix this issue by resetting Services manually. Follow these steps-
- At first, press the Win key and type Command Prompt.
- Right-click on the well-matched result and choose Run as Administrator.
- If User Account Control appears up, press Yes to grant the access.
- Now type these command codes on the prompt and hit Enter at end of each command –
net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop bits net stop msiserver Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old net start wuauserv net start cryptSvc net start bits net start msiserver
- When the task is completed, Reboot your system so that changes made so far come into effect.
9. Download the update manually
If you are still unable to update your PC due to continuous error code 0x80246008, it is necessary to download and install the update manually. To do this, you need to locate the specific update code on the Windows update section. Go through the below steps-
- Firstly, click here to visit the Microsoft Update catalog.
- In the search box (top-right pane), type the update code and you will find the list of matching data.
- Now select one as per your PC’s architecture then hit the Download button.
- Once you have downloaded the file, double click on the setup file to install the same. Hope this time, you are able to update OS without having any issue.
10. Perform an in-place upgrade
If the update error code 0x80246008 still occurs on your System, there might be an issue in the Media Creation tool. Hence, you need to do an in-place upgrade by following the below procedure-
- Firstly download and run media creation tools.
- Thereafter choose to Upgrade this PC now followed by the Next option.
- Hit Download and install updates (recommended) then the Next button again.
- Henceforth follow the onscreen instructions to complete the process. When it completes the installation, tap the Change what to keep option.
- Succeeding after, choose to Keep personal files and apps after that Next.
- Go ahead and follow On-screen instructions until they get completed.
- Now you must be able to download and install Windows 10 latest update on your System.
Note: Before proceeding to do this task, you should create a system restore point so that your system file & folders remain safe even in a worse situation.
You should try these fixes in chronological order thus mitigating one potential culprit behind update error code 0x80246008. We hope, this article helps you to solve this update issue on your System. If you have any queries related to any process mentioned in this article, do drop your question or suggestion in the comment box.