Have you recently encountered the update Error Code 0x80240020 while upgrading the Windows 10 OS? Well, if yes, then follow this troubleshooting guide to know the probable causes along with a few working ways to solve the same. If the sign-in info section inside Windows Update remains disabled, this may lead to this error code. Hence, we suggest enabling this feature while performing the Build OS upgrade on your computer.
In case the error 0x80240020 persists even after this, there might have come system level corruption inside the Windows services. We recommend disabling a few system services (discussed below separately), configure certain settings and re-enable the stopped services. Usually, this will fix any update-related issues. However, if the error 0x80240020 occurs again, this is ultimately due to missing OSUpgrade Dword entry inside the registry. Although novice users shouldn’t perform any changes inside the registry as this may harm the operating system if performed incorrectly, you have to take your own decision. Let’s explore the solutions in detail-
Ways to Fix Update Error Code 0x80240020 in Windows 10
To solve the Update error 0x80240020 on Windows 10 PC, use the following workarounds –
1. Enable “Use my sign-in info” inside Windows Update
Before proceeding to the actual solutions, one should configure the “Sign-in info” settings inside the update section. To do so, follow these easy steps –
- At first, press Win+I hotkey together to begin Settings.
- Select Accounts thereafter Sign-in Options on the next screen.
- Head over to the right side and scroll down to the Privacy section.
- Turn on the feature that reads “Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device and reopen my apps after an update or restart”.
- Reboot your PC and from the next login, the following error message may no longer exist.
2. Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Since this update issue is due to corrupt device drivers, following the above fixes should resolve the underlying cause. However, if you still encounter the error 0x80240020 while upgrading existing Build OS, run the Windows troubleshooter. This tool can easily detect the faulty files and repair them if possible. Here is the complete procedure –
- Open the Run dialog using Win and R shortcut.
- In the text box type, ms-settings: and hit the OK button.
- Here, reach out to Update & Security thereafter Troubleshoot on the left column.
- Switch to the right side, scroll down and select to expand Windows Update.
- Now, click Run the troubleshooter button to begin the searching/repairing task.
- Once over, Restart the PC and install any pending updates on the computer.
3. Enable the BITS service
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) acts as the communicator between Microsoft’s servers and your PC. This is why if anything goes wrong or this service is stopped, you won’t be able to receive new patch-updates by the company servers. Since you are already getting an update-related issue, you should check whether BITS is working properly on your computer or not. Here are the steps to work upon –
- Hit the Search button and type services.msc in the text field. Click the top result to start Services.
- Now locate and double-click on the Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
- On the next screen, go to the service status and see its running status. This should display “Started”.
- However, if stated otherwise like “Stopped”, click Start thereafter OK.
4. Delete/Recreate the SoftwareDistribution folder
Many a time, the system doesn’t perform an upgrade owing to some missing or corrupt files. In such cases, one should definitely try to delete and recreate the SoftwareDistribution folder. Performing so does not only solve the error 0x80240020 but fixes several other update-related issues. Here’s how to proceed –
- Press Win and R shortcut to invoke the Run dialog.
- Here in the text bar, type the services.msc and hit the OK button.
- When the Services page comes up, scroll down and locate the below services –
Windows Update service Background Intelligent Transfer service Cryptographic services
- Double click on each one of these services and hit the Stop button.
- Press Win and E shortcut to open the File Explorer.
- Navigate to C:\\Windows\\SoftwareDistribution\ and delete all the contents inside this directory or rename this folder to “softwaredistribution.old“.
- Now, launch the Command Prompt as an Admin and execute the below code –
- Wait for a while as this takes some time to finish. Once over, close the windows console and go back to the Services window to restart the services that you have stopped earlier.
Windows Update service, Background Intelligent Transfer service, and Cryptographic services.
- Lastly, reboot the computer so that changes made come into effect immediately.
From the next login, you may update Windows 10 OS without receiving any error messages.
5. Perform a few changes inside Registry
If none of the fixes above resolve the error 0x80240020, tweaking key values of certain entries inside the registry may solve this issue. However, be careful as any incorrect changes may corrupt the entire operating system. We also suggest creating a system backup before processing the below steps –
- Make a right-click on the Windows icon and select Run.
- Type regedit near the blinking console and press Enter to start Registry Editor.
- When the UAC window appears, tap Yes to authorize the access.
- Now, expand the folders present on the left column to reach out to the following address –
- In case, you don’t find any such file inside the WindowsUpdate folder, create a new Key and name this OSUpgrade using the below sequence –
Right click on WindowsUpdate > Select New > Key
- After entering the newly created key, right-click anywhere and select
New > DWORD (32-bit) value.
- Rename this entry as “AllowOSUpgrade” and set its value to “0x00000001” without quotes.
- Restart your PC so that changes made so far come into effect.
That’s it, I hope this post helps you to get rid of the nagging update bugcheck 0x80240020. If you have any queries or suggestions related to this article, do convey us through the comment box.