Windows 10 periodically launches new cumulative updates including innovative improvements for the OS. However, while installing the patches, a few users experience Update Error 0xa0000400 which prevents the downloading process to a certain percentage. The failed error-message appears at the time of installing “Something went wrong, You can contact Microsoft support for help with this error”. Well, here in this post, we discuss some practical methods that can fix this issue quite easily.
There are several causes that trigger this error like buggy files released by Microsoft, Missing/corrupt update files, junk files, etc. Running networking apps such as Skype at the background or even the system configuration (doesn’t support the updates file) may also lead to the Update Error 0xa0000400. The exact reasons behind this bug are not clear yet. Hence, to fix this use the troubleshooter tool, run Disk Cleanup utility, manually install Windows updates. If all fail, using the Media Creation tool may solve this error message.
Fix Update Error 0xa0000400 in Windows 10
To fix the Windows update Error 0xa0000400, use the following workarounds –
1} Disconnect the External Peripherals
The update error 0xa0000400 may settle down just after disconnecting the peripheral devices such as the game controller, digital camera, etc. This is possible as sometimes these devices unintentionally block several new tasks like installing updates thus arising similar conflicts. Hence, remove the USB cable of such devices and Restart your PC. After the next login, you may try to update the Windows 10 OS without experiencing any issue.
2} Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
The Troubleshooter is an inbuilt utility on Windows 10 that can repair corrupt files causing update-related troubles. It quickly identifies the underlying causes and may diagnose the issue. Here is the complete procedure –
- Press Win & I shortcut to launch the Settings app.
- Select the Update & Security category then Troubleshoot on the left pane.
- Switch to the right-wing and click Windows Update.
- Now, tap Run the troubleshooter to let begin this process.
After completing the above steps, Restart your PC and check if the error 0xa0000400 occurs again or not.
3} Install Windows 10 Update manually
If you are unable to auto-update Windows 10 OS due to 0xa0000400 error, you may try this manually as well. To do so, all you need is to know the KB number that is pending on your device. Here’s how to do –
- At first, visit the Microsoft Update Catalog link.
- Type the specific KB number at the void and click the search button.
- A list of cumulative updates containing the “typed KB” will appear.
- Select the one as per your system architecture and hit Download next to it.
- Once downloaded, double-click the setup file and go through the on-screen instructions to install the latest patch.
4} Temporarily disconnect the Internet connection
Sometimes, you may solve the Update error 0xa0000400 just disconnecting the Internet connection. Once you download the Windows 10 updates, unplug the Ethernet cable or turn off WiFi.
5} Delete Junk Files using Disk Cleanup
The presence of residual junk files such as cache may also lead to this error. In that case, Disk Cleanup is a useful tool to safely remove unnecessary data on the Hard drive. Here’s how to proceed –
- Right-click on the Windows icon and select Run.
- Type cleanmgr at the void and hit OK.
- Here, select the root drive (C:) then tap OK again.
- On the next page, click Clean up system files option.
- Choose C: drive again then OK to locate the storage that it can free-up.
- Now, check all the check-boxes except Download and press OK to let start this process.
- Click Delete files to confirm the clean-up.
6} Run System Maintenance
If somehow the system files get damaged, it may arise 0xa0000400 error while updating Windows 10. The System maintenance tool may help to locate and clean up non-essential files. Just perform the below steps –
- Type Control Panel in the search box and press the Enter key.
- On the succeeding window, select Small icons in view by category.
- Select Troubleshooting then View all link from the left pane.
- When the next window opens, locate and click System Maintenance thereafter Next.
- Wait for a while until the system detects and repairs any fault.
- When completed, update your existing OS.
7} Close Skype Update
A few users recommend halting the update of Skype software. As per them, doing this may solve the underlying reasons behind the update error 0xa0000400. So before going to download the recent patches, close Skype and its related-processes as well on the Task Manager. If you don’t know, here is the complete process –
- Press Ctrl+Shift+Del shortcut to launch the Signup window.
- Select the Task Manager option.
- Under the processes tab, select Skype or its services then press End task.
- Once over, retry to download the pending patches (if available any).
8} Get the official ISO files
In case you still experience the Update Error 0xa0000400 while installing Windows 10 updates, you can use the Media Creation Tool. To do so, use the following steps –
- First of all, download the Media Creation file.
- Go to the saved location, put a right-click on it and select Run as Administrator.
- If the UAC prompt appears, select Yes to permit access.
- Succeeding that Accept the license terms and conditions.
- Now, choose to Upgrade this PC now option thereafter Next to move ahead.
- Wait, until the Windows ready the important files to install.
- Thereupon, tap Download and install Updates followed by Next again.
- Go through a few instructions till Windows ready the necessary files.
- Click change what to keep.
- Here, select Keep your personal files and apps thereafter Next again.
- Follow the On-Screen guideline to complete the remaining steps.
Once over, Restart your PC and download any pending updates.