Error 0x80242016 is basically related to Windows search services and occurs when users install the latest Insider or Cumulative update. Recently, this bug reappears when insiders download and install windows 10 build 18875.
This error code implies that the state of Build 18875 after its post-reboot operation is complete however unexpected. In short, this error means “WU_E_UH_POSTREBOOTUNEXPECTEDSTATE“.
Windows Search services might be crashing thus let the installer roll back the recent update. Several users have posted on Feedback Hub that they face such issues while reboot after installing Build 18875 on their System. The company is currently working on a resolution for this and may bring a fix in its next upcoming build.
Here, in this article, we have brought a simple workaround to fix this issue without waiting for the official patch by Microsoft. Let’s explore this workaround –
Ways to fix Update Error 0x80242016 on Windows 10
Follow the below steps to fix Update Error 0x80242016 on Windows 10 –
- At first, right-click on the Start to launch Power User Menu.
- Here, select the Computer Management option.
- On the next window, expand Services and Applications thereafter tap Services link.
- Move to the right section and scroll down to locate Windows Search.
- Once found, double-click on this service to open its separate window.
- Henceforth, in the “Startup type”, choose the Disabled option using the drop-down menu.
This will disable the Windows search services.
- At last, click Apply then OK.
Manually download and install Standalone Package
If this bug occurs even after following the above solution, one should manually download the standalone package of the latest cumulative update from Microsoft’s update catalog. To do so, use these steps –
- Visit Update Catalog.
- Type Windows 10 version like 20H2, 2004, 1909, etc. in the search bar, and press Enter.
- A list containing all the latest security patches will appear on the display screen.
- Pick the one that well-matches your system configuration and hit the download button.
- When the download completes, open the folder containing this file, and double-click the setup file.
After you have made the necessary changes, reboot your PC so that these changes come into effect.