Today, in this post, we will outline the prime reasons causing your PC to fail on the latest Build updates along with five working ways to resolve this. Incomplete installation of Windows 10 OS and forget to restart the computer is one of the many reasons that may have started the 0x80242014 issue in the first place. The same is hidden if you read the error message closely i.e. “Post reboot still pending”.
Missing DLL files, corrupted Windows update folders, or wrong registry entries may also invoke this bug on Windows 10 PC. One may fix these possible reasons by following the solutions enlisted below –
Error WU_E_UH_POSTREBOOTSTILLPENDING Solutions
1] Restart Windows 10 PC
You must be wondering if this is a real solution or not. Well, read the message again that came along with the error 0x80242014. “Post Boot Still Pending” clearly stated that a reboot is still pending on your computer. So, simply shut down your PC and check if doing so you can upgrade your Windows Operating System or not. If not, you may try the next set of solutions properly discussed below.
2] Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows Update Troubleshooter is a great tool by Microsoft to find and fix the reasons that may have started the error 0x80242014. Here’s how to troubleshoot Windows Update –
- Go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
- Jump to the right side and click Additional troubleshooters.
- Click Windows Update and hit Run the troubleshooter on its extended pane.
- That’s it, the system will then scan the entire PC for possible issues and provides a fix.
3] Rename Windows 10 Update Folders
Renaming the update folders have also positive impacts in addressing several update-related bugs on a Windows 10 device. This is because huge data continue to add inside the update folders for each cumulative update. Once this surpasses the existing threshold, it starts preventing the update process from ever occurring and thus result in different error codes.
So, clearing these folders must remain in your top-priority task after applying 3-4 security updates. Here’s how to perform this task –
- First of all, launch Command Prompt as an Administrator.
- If the UAC window comes into the display, hit Yes.
- On the elevated console, run the below codes to stop the basic services related to Windows Update.
net stop bits net stop wuauserv net stop appidsvc net stop cryptsvc
- Next, rename the Windows Update folders by executing the below codes –
ren C:WindowsSoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old ren C:WindowsSystem32catroot2 Catroot2.old
Re-register DLL Files
Now that you have renamed the update folders, make sure to re-register all DLL files. To do so, use these steps in continuation with the above guideline –
- Copy/paste the below code and press Enter to delete the qmgr*.dat file –
Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat”
- Next, execute this command –
cd /d %windir%\system32
- Succeeding after you need to re-register BITS and Windows Update files by running the below set of essential codes –
regsvr32.exe atl.dll regsvr32.exe urlmon.dll regsvr32.exe mshtml.dll regsvr32.exe shdocvw.dll regsvr32.exe browseui.dll regsvr32.exe jscript.dll regsvr32.exe vbscript.dll regsvr32.exe scrrun.dll regsvr32.exe msxml.dll regsvr32.exe msxml3.dll regsvr32.exe msxml6.dll regsvr32.exe actxprxy.dll regsvr32.exe softpub.dll regsvr32.exe wintrust.dll regsvr32.exe dssenh.dll regsvr32.exe rsaenh.dll regsvr32.exe gpkcsp.dll regsvr32.exe sccbase.dll regsvr32.exe slbcsp.dll regsvr32.exe cryptdlg.dll regsvr32.exe oleaut32.dll regsvr32.exe ole32.dll regsvr32.exe shell32.dll regsvr32.exe initpki.dll regsvr32.exe wuapi.dll regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll regsvr32.exe wuaueng1.dll regsvr32.exe wucltui.dll regsvr32.exe wups.dll regsvr32.exe wups2.dll regsvr32.exe wuweb.dll regsvr32.exe qmgr.dll regsvr32.exe qmgrprxy.dll regsvr32.exe wucltux.dll regsvr32.exe muweb.dll regsvr32.exe wuwebv.dll
- After re-registering all DLL files, reset the Network configuration via the following codes –
netsh winsock reset netsh winhttp reset
- Lastly, restart all those services that you have stopped earlier.
net start bits net start wuauserv net start appidsvc net start cryptsvc
That’s it, now check if you can upgrade Windows 10 Build OS without getting into any trouble or not.
4] Manually download and apply the Standalone Packages
Microsoft provides the standalone package of each cumulative update that ever comes for different Windows 10 versions. Contrary to the normal installation process via Windows Update, this is a simple procedure.
In this, all you require is to visit the official site and download the updates in either .cab or .msu file format. Once the download finishes, follow either of the following ways depending on which file format you had gone for –
- Manually download and install Windows 10 Updates (MSI file format)
- How to Install Windows 10 Cab Updates via DISM
5] Use System Restore Points
In case none of the above solutions work to address the error code 0x80242014 and you do have created a restore point sometimes back, try using this backup.
If you have already turned On the System Protection for C:/ drive, there might lie some automatic backup as well. You may use these system images to restore your device to a state where everything was running pretty fine. Here’s how to restore a Windows 10 PC –
- Press Win + R to launch the Run dialog.
- Type “
rstrui.exe” in the text field and press OK.
- When you enter the System Restore window, click Next.
- Subsequently, select the latest backup and hit Next again.
- Lastly, press the Finish button and the system restoration starts immediately afterward.
This whole process might take 20-30 minutes depending upon the size of the backup created, so wait patiently.
If for some reason, this process never completes or you had not created any such backup, you are left with only one option i.e. Clean install Windows 10.
I hope this article helps to address the error code 0x80242014 and now you are able to upgrade your PC without getting into any trouble. In case you have any queries or suggestions, let us know in the comment section below.