To avail of the latest feature on Windows 10 or keep your system bug free, installing Windows 10 patches is the most essential part. However, while performing this task, users widely encounter failed error messages or the update process stuck at some percentage. In such scenarios, you keep receiving a message that reads – “Requires a restart to finish installing“. In this post, we are going to discuss one such update issue – 0x80070bc2, the probable reasons along with some working solutions to get rid of this error.
There are different reasons that may cause the Update Error 0x80070bc2 on the computer. Some of them are – Corrupt Windows Services, Unnecessary cache, mismanaged settings, or a recent upgrade of Windows 10. If the check for updates button doesn’t work, download/install the standalone package from the Update Catalog. Set the Windows Services to Auto mode, use Update troubleshooter, Delete the existing cache, perform Clean boot, and resetting the update components are a few working solutions to fix the 0x80070bc2 error. In case each one of these fails, restore the system to an earlier state using the latest Restore Ponts. Let’s explore –
Fix: Update Error 0x80070bc2 on Windows 10
To solve the Update Error 0x80070bc2 on Windows 10 PC, use the following workarounds –
1. Adjust Windows Update Services to Automatic
After encountering the Error 0x80070bc2 on your PC, the first thing you should do is to configure the Windows update services as Automatic. To do so, use the command prompt –
- Jointly press Win and R to invoke the Run dialog.
- Type cmd at the void and simultaneously tap Ctrl+Shift+Enter.
- On the UAC window, tap Yes to launch Command Prompt with administrative privileges.
- Next, run each one of the below codes separately followed by the Enter key –
SC config wuauserv start= auto
SC config bits start= auto
SC config cryptsvc start= auto
SC config trustedinstaller start= auto
- The above set of commands will set the update services to Auto mode.
- Restart your computer and try installing the pending cumulative updates.
If the issue exists even after this, try the next solution –
2. Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows Troubleshooter is an in-built tool that can repair corrupt files preventing Windows 10 update. Here’s how to run this utility program –
- Open the Settings window pressing Win + I keys together.
- Select Update & Security thereafter Troubleshoot on the succeeding left column.
- Head over to the “Get up and running” section on the right-wing. Here, click to expand Windows Update and hit Run the troubleshooter.
- The scanning process will start immediately afterward, follow the on-screen instruction to complete the remaining steps.
- Once this gets over, restart your PC so as to implement the recent changes.
3. Remove the Windows Update Cache
If you are running your PC for quite a long time, there must lie some unnecessary cache. This may also prevent the update process from being carried out and lead to 0x80070bc2 error. Hence, clean the junk files using the below steps –
Note: Before proceeding ahead, make sure to temporarily disable the Windows Update Services.
- Open the Run dialog (Win & R), type services.msc and click OK.
- Scroll down to Windows Update, make a right-click, and hit Stop. See the Snapshot below –
- Afterward, open the File Explorer using Win + E shortcut.
- Next, navigate to the below path –
- Press Ctrl+A to highlight all the items inside this folder. Perform a right-click and tap the Delete option.
- Now, re-visit the Services window and start the “Windows Update” service.
- Finally, Reboot your PC and check whether you can update your Windows OS normally or not.
4. Manually Install Windows Update
Sometimes, the automatic update process simply won’t work. In such cases, you need to manually download the standalone package and install it on your computer. Here’s how to proceed –
- At first, note down the CU number that you are unable to install.
- Go to the Microsoft Official website and type the KB number at the search bar.
- Subsequently, press the Download button next to the cumulative update links. Make sure to check the system architecture (x86, x64, ARM64, etc.) on your device.
- A pop-up window will appear, hit the top link so as to download .msu file.
- Lastly, go to the Download folder and click twice on the set-up file to upgrade the existing OS build version.
5. Use Clean Boot of Windows 10
Many a time, the presence of corrupt apps or its leftover files may lead to the 0x80070bc2 error. To solve such conflicts, users must perform a clean boot on their devices. Here are the essential steps to work upon –
- Press Win+Q, type msconfig, and press Enter.
- When the System Configuration window comes into view, go to the Startup tab and click “Open Task Manager“.
- Select each one of the running programs and hit Disable.
- After disabling all of the running applications, close Task Manager, and Reboot the PC.
6. Reset Windows Update Components
If you are still unable to install the security patches due to error 0x80070bc2, there may lie some issues with the Update components. So, you need to reset these system components using the Windows Console. Follow the below guidelines to do this –
- Press Win & S shortcut and type cmd in the text box. Make a right-click on the well-matching result and choose Run as Administrator.
- When the UAC window appears, tap Yes to proceed ahead.
- On the elevated prompt area, enter the below codes one by one. These commands will stop some of the essential services like BITS, Windows Update, Cryptographic, etc.
net stop bits net stop wuauserv net stop appidsvc net stop cryptsvc
- Next, remove the qmgr*.dat files executing the below code –
Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\\Application Data\\Microsoft\\Network\\Downloader\\qmgr*.dat”
- Subsequently, copy/paste cd /d %windir%\\system32 and press Enter.
- Now, re-register the .dll files running the below codes –
exe atl.dll exe urlmon.dll exe mshtml.dll exe shdocvw.dll exe browseui.dll exe jscript.dll exe vbscript.dll exe scrrun.dll exe msxml.dll exe msxml3.dll exe msxml6.dll exe actxprxy.dll exe softpub.dll exe wintrust.dll exe dssenh.dll exe rsaenh.dll exe gpkcsp.dll exe sccbase.dll exe slbcsp.dll exe cryptdlg.dll exe oleaut32.dll exe ole32.dll exe shell32.dll exe initpki.dll exe wuapi.dll exe wuaueng.dll exe wuaueng1.dll exe wucltui.dll exe wups.dll exe wups2.dll exe wuweb.dll exe qmgr.dll exe qmgrprxy.dll exe wucltux.dll exe muweb.dll exe wuwebv.dll
- Once over, Restart the Windows Services that you have stopped earlier. To do so, run the following commands –
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
- At last, Reboot your system and see if the “Check for updates” works on your device or not.
7. Use System Restore
The above solution should resolve any update-related issues. However, if not, you are left with only one thing and i.e. Use System Restore Points. In case you haven’t made any previously, clean install Windows 10. Here’s how to use the backup files –
- At first, log into your device as an Administrator.
- Press Win & S shortcut and type System Restore in the Search box.
- Click on the top result to enter the System Protection wizard.
- Tap System Restore button then Next to proceed further.
- Here, pick the recent restore file and click Next again.
- Hit Finish and wait for this task to complete.
That’s it, I hope the above set of solutions fix the 0x80070bc2 error. If you have any queries or suggestions, let us know in the comment box.