Windows 10 Update Error 0x80070714 is a new update-related issue that prohibits the smooth downloading and installing of either Builds or monthly patches. Today, in this article, we explain the underlying causes behind this issue along with probable solutions to counter. Moreover, when you face this bug, there appears an error message as well. This reads –
“Something happened and the Windows couldn’t be installed, Please try again, Error code: 0x80070714”.
The corrupt system files or wrongly installed cumulative updates are some prime reasons that cause this update error 0x80070714. If you are encountering this bug, Run Update troubleshooter, DISM command, Reset Windows components, and pause updates will work as the resolving tools. If none of these methods resolve this issue, perform a clean installation of Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool.
Fix Windows 10 Update Error 0x80070714
To resolve the Update Error 0x80070714 on Windows 10 PC, try the following methods –
- Use the Update troubleshooter
- Reset update services
- Run DISM
- Install updates using the installation media
- Use the Media Creation Tool
- Perform a clean re-installation
1} Use the Update troubleshooter
Microsoft team has developed this troubleshooter to resolve various update-related errors on Windows 10. If you are struggling with the Error 0x80070714, perform these steps –
- Press Window and I key together to launch Settings.
- Inside the Update & Security category, select Troubleshoot from the left pane.
- Move to the right-hand side and press the Windows Update option.
- Next, do the click on Run the Troubleshooter.
When the repairing process completes, Restart your PC to save the recent changes.
2} Reset Windows Update Services
In general, certain services become obsolete as time passes by, hence you need to update them. To repair this bug, we suggest deleting the Software Distribution folder and reset the Windows components as well. Here is the complete procedure –
- Jointly press Win and S and type cmd in the text field.
- Make a right-click on Command Prompt and hit Run as administrator.
- Tap Yes on the User Account Control window to proceed ahead.
- Here, copy-paste the following codes one by one followed by the Enter key.
net stop wuauserv net stop bits net stop cryptsvc Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\SoftwareDistribution.bak Ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bakwindows 10 error 0x80070714 net start wuauserv net start bits net start cryptsvc
Lastly, Restart your PC to save the changes performed so far.
3} Perform DISM Scan
When the update size is larger than the installed patch up, this may arise update related issues. If that’s the case, the Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool work as the repairing tool. Let’s see how to do –
- Click on the Search icon and type Command Prompt.
- Right-click on the well-suited result and select Run as administrator.
- If UAC prompts, tap Yes.
- Now copy-paste the following codes and hit Enter at the end of each command.
DISM /online /Cleanup-Image / ScanHealth DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- This will take approx 10 minutes, so wait accordingly.
- Lastly, Restart your system and try downloading the updates without receiving the Update Error 0x80070714.
4} Pause the update installation
Eventually, if all the methods fail to resolve the Error 0x80070714, disabling updates is the best option. This will pause the upcoming or pending cumulative updates for the predefined period. Microsoft rolls customized patches to solve several errors. Here are the steps to follow –
- Press Win and I to launch the Settings app.
- Inside the Updates & Security, select the Windows Update.
- Switch to the right pane and choose Advanced options.
- Scroll down and specify the date (till you want to restrict updates) using the drop-down menu under Pause updates. See the Snapshot below-
That’s it if you are still encountering the Update Error 0x80070714, try the next workarounds –
5} Apply the latest Cumulative Updates using the installation media
In case, you fail to update the Windows 10 system via check for updates, you should use an installation media and perform this task manually. All you need is to create a bootable USB or ISO device containing a Windows setup. Here’s how to proceed –
- Plug the external storage (at least 8 GB free space) to its port.
- Next, visit the Microsoft official website to download the Media Creation Tool.
- When the setup file is downloaded, make a click on the .exe file and accept the license terms & conditions.
- Henceforth, select the Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) for another PC radio button.
- Going ahead, select the preferred language, architecture, and edition followed by the Next button.
- Pick the USB flash drive then Next again.
- This will start copying the installation file to the USB flash drive, wait till this finishes.
Now Restart your system, plug-in the USB and install the Windows setup file.
6} Upgrade the PC using Media Creation Tool
If you still fail to overcome the Update error 0x80070714, you should perform a fresh Windows 10 installation using Media Creation Tool. All you need is to download and install the updates manually following these easy steps –
- Download Media Creation Tool.
- When you download the Windows setup, right-click on it and select Run as an administrator.
- On the following wizard, Accept the Licence Terms followed by Next.
- Afterward, hit Upgrade this PC radio button and wait till this downloads all the patches.
- Now install all the cumulative updates and Restart your PC.
We hope this guide helps to overcome the Update error 0x80070714 on Windows 10 PC.