If you are struggling with an update error code 0x800704B3 while updating Windows, this guide presents a handful of fixes that might help. In this blog post, we will look into what causes this error, what happens when it occurs, and what are the possible ways to fix it on Windows 11/10.
Restoro is a great repair tool that finds and fixes different error codes automatically in Windows OS. Having this tool will protect your PC against malicious codes, hardware failures, and several other bugs. Moreover, this also ensures you use your PC to its fullest capabilities and performance. Here’s how to use this tool –
What causes Update Error 0x800704B3 in Windows?
Windows 11/10 may fail on an update error 0x800704B3 because of one or more of the following reasons –
- Missing or obsolete system files
- Corrupt Windows update components
- Outdated device drivers
How to Fix Update Error 0x800704B3
To solve update error code 0x800704B3 in Windows, try out these workarounds –
1] Run Update Troubleshooter
If you are struggling with an update error, the first thing that you should run is the update troubleshooter. This is basically an in-built tool designed to find and fix the underlying causes behind an update issue. Here’s how you may run this troubleshooter –
Windows key & Ito launch the Settings app.
- Click Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
- On the right pane, you will find a link to “Additional troubleshooters“. Well, click on this link.
- Moving ahead, click to expand Windows update and hit Run the troubleshooter.
- When the troubleshooting window launches, hit Next.
- Let the system detect and resolve any issues on your PC. All you require is to follow the on-screen instructions.
Even in case, it doesn’t resolve the error 0x800704B3, this tool will explain ways on how to get rid of this issue.
2] Perform SFC Scan
After uninstalling a third-party app, it is required of us to restart our PC. However, very few follow this standard practice. As a result, some leftover files remain on the device and keep interacting with the system files. Over a period of time, such files become corrupted to such an extent that you can’t update your operating system.
Similarly, when there are some or more missing files, this may also result in updates failing on Windows 11/10 PC. To solve this issue then, one must use the SFC tool. The System file checker utility will find the underlying causes and try to fix them if possible. Here’s how to run this command-line program.
- Launch CMD having admin rights.
- On the elevated console, type the following, and press Enter.
- Wait for this scan to complete 100%.
- Once over, restart your PC and check if this actually resolves error code 0x800704B3.
If not, you may try the next set of solutions discussed below.
3] Reset Update Components
If you hadn’t purged SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folders for a long time, this may start troubling the Windows update process. Resetting update components is the best way to fix an update error if none of the above solutions work in your case.
|Note: At times, such errors may also occur when the device drivers haven’t been updated for a long time. One may fix this issue simply by reinstating optional updates or using DriverFix.|
4] Use System Restore Point
In case you do have created a system restore point sometime back in the past, you may use that right now. If you hadn’t generated any system image backup right then, skip this method, and proceed to the next one. Here’s how to use system restore point –
- To make this solution work, ensure logging into your device as an administrator.
- Press Win + R to launch the Run dialog box.
- Type “
rstrui” in the text field, and hit OK.
- Click Next, pick the latest image version and then re-click the Next button.
- It would be good if you scan the chosen backup for affected programs and malware.
- Now, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the remaining steps.
- This whole restoring process will take 30-45 minutes, so wait patiently.
5] Manually install cumulative updates
If none of the above solutions work in your case, you are left with only one option and i.e. manual installation of cumulative updates. For each update that comes for Windows 11/10 users, Microsoft uploads a standalone package at its official site i.e. Update Catalog. Here’s how you can manually download and install pending cumulative updates on your computer.
I hope this tutorial helps to recover your system back from the update error 0x800704B3. Let’s know in the comment section if you face any difficulty applying the above solutions.