Several users reported that they confronted Error 0x80070020 while attempting to perform the latest Windows update. This issue has often been encountered in the latest version of Microsoft’s flagship operating system. The reason for this problem could be many but most presumably it flashes out because of the intervention of the software with the installation process. You must have to settle down this issue asap, as it indicates the system malfunction and may cause further damage if overlooked.
In this article, we’ll learn how to solve this problem by implementing a couple of solutions. If you’re also experiencing this issue, reach out to the below section and follow the solutions we enlisted below. This Error code is delivered by a message saying –
fbl_impressive Enterprise 10130 - Error 0x80070020
List of Contents
- Run Windows Update Troubleshooters
- Restart Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
- Run DISM Scan and System File Checker
- Disable Your Antivirus Temporarily
- Reset the Windows Update Services
- Windows Update Reset Script
- Check Your Disk For Errors
- Perform a Clean Boot
- Remove SoftwareDistribution Folder’s Contents
- Find the problematic services
- Use Windows Media Creation tool
Solve Windows Update Error 0x80070020
To Fix Update Error 0x80070020, use the steps –
1} Run Windows Update Troubleshooters
Windows updates troubleshooter is an inbuilt application that can be used to solve the root cause error associated with the Windows Update. This utility was designed to quickly diagnose and automatically resolve various computer issue. Therefore, it becomes the first choice to settle down some Windows update errors. Here we will show you how to perform it –
- Click on the Start button and select the gear (Settings) icon.
- Open the Update & Security category and reach out to the Troubleshoot section.
- Move to the right side and select Windows Update.
- Click on the Run the troubleshooter button.
- This will take time to complete the process.
- When it finishes, click on the Next button.
- Reboot your system to make the changes effective.
2} Restart Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
BITS is a Windows component that takes idle network bandwidth to execute simultaneous file transfer between devices. It can be used to deliver updates to your computer in the installation process. Therefore, if BITS gets damaged, you will experience the problems with receiving Windows updates. In order to make BITS work again, you need to restart it. Here is what you need to do –
- Right-click on the Start button and select the Run option.
- In the box, type services.msc and hit Enter.
- Locate Background Intelligent Transfer Service in the list of services.
- Once you find, right-click on the same and select Properties.
- When the new page opens, navigate to the Startup type and set it as Automatic.
- Locate Service status and If the service is not running, click Start.
- However, if the service is running, click Stop first and click Start again to restart the service.
- After that, click OK and Apply to save the changes.
Upon performing the above steps, you can try to update your Windows and check if the error still persists. If nothing is wrong with your BITS, just go to the next method.
3} Run DISM Scan and System File Checker
- Click on the Start button and select the Run option.
- In the dialog box, type “cmd” and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter together.
- When UAC prompts, click on the Yes button.
- In the elevated Command Prompt, type the following URL and hit Enter –
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
Once it completes, execute the system file checker to scan the corrupted files in the Windows system and restore them.
- Open the elevated command prompt as we explained earlier.
- If UAC prompts, click on the Yes button to give your consent.
Press Enter and wait for a while as this process will take some time.
- When the scan process completes, try to update Windows.
4} Disable Your Antivirus Temporarily to Fix Error 0x80070020
Many users believe to always have a third-party antivirus program, but that isn’t the best solution for today’s security problems. Having this software installed on your computer can actually cause more harm than you’d expect. That conflict can cause failures of various Windows features, including Windows Update. Therefore, here we suggest you uninstall your antivirus program temporarily to ensure that it is not the cause of the error. However, you don’t need to worry as Windows 10 OS has its own antivirus in the form of Windows Defender. Here is how to do it –
- Press Win+I together to call Windows Settings.
- Choose the Apps category.
- On the next page, select Apps & features.
- Find the added program that may cause Error 0x80070020.
- When you find, click on it and select the Uninstall option.
- In the pop-up menu, again click Uninstall to confirm.
- Once it completes the process, try to update Windows.
- Visit the manufacturer page, download and reinstall the application again on PC.
5} Reset the Windows Update Services
Windows Update relies on various services in order to work properly. However, if there are any issues with Update services, you might be able to fix them by resetting it. This is comparatively straightforward, and in order to perform this, you need to execute a few commands in Command Prompt. To do that, follow the below steps –
- Click on the Start button and type “Command Prompt”.
- Right-click on the result and select Run as administrator.
- When UAC prompts on the screen, click on the Yes button.
- On the following page, type the following URL and hit Enter after each one.
net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop bits net stop msiserver ren C:WindowsSoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old ren C:WindowsSystem32catroot2 Catroot2.old net start wuauserv net start cryptSvc net start bits net start msiserver
- On performing, check if the problem with Windows Update is resolved.
6} Windows Update Reset Script to fix Error 0x80070020
If the Windows Update Services don’t solve the issue, your device presumably has some more serious problems. To fix this error, you have to make a Windows Update Reset Script by yourself. Here are the following instructions to do it –
- Click on the Start button and type “Notepad”.
- Select the best match from the list.
- Copy and paste the following text into Notepad –
@ECHO OFF echo Simple Script to Reset / Clear Windows Update echo. PAUSE echo. attrib -h -r -s %windir%system32catroot2 attrib -h -r -s %windir%system32catroot2*.* net stop wuauserv net stop CryptSvc net stop BITS ren %windir%system32catroot2 catroot2.old ren %windir%SoftwareDistribution sold.old ren “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%application dataMicrosoftNetworkdownloader” downloader.old net Start BITS net start CryptSvc net start wuauserv echo. echo Task completed successfully… echo. PAUSE
- Once you have pasted this in the notebook, click on the File option.
- Select Save as and save it as “WUReset.bat” (including quotes).
- To run the script, right-click on it and select Run as administrator.
- This will save you a lot of time and work.
7} Check Your Disk For Errors
Sometimes Error 0x80070020 also hit the devices because of the creation of bad areas in the Hard Disk. Here, we need to use built-in Windows utility that can identify these harmful areas and eliminate such glitches efficiently. Proceed with the following guidelines and repair some common errors –
- Open the elevated Command Prompt as explained above
- When UAC prompts, tap Yes to proceed.
- On the next window, type the following command –
chkdsk C: /f /r /x
- Press the Enter key and the Disk Checking application will start scanning the error causes.
- This process will take time therefore, keep patience and wait until it gets over.
- Reboot the PC so that changes made come into effect.
Here, all the letters have their specific meanings –
C:– represent the Disk where the OS is installed. You can change this to D:, E: or any depending upon your usage. f- implies fixing the scanned bugs. r- implies detecting the existing problems in the Disk. x- stands for splitting up the disk volume to help the detection process.
8} Perform a Clean Boot to Fix Error 0x80070020
When you open your machine normally, some applications and services will be active and start running in the background by itself. These programs you have installed including antivirus software and other applications may collide with Windows Update. A clean boot can help you to bypass software conflicts while installing Windows updates. In order to do a clean boot, you need to perform the following steps –
- Open the Run dialog box as we explained above.
- In the field, type MSConfig, and hit Enter.
- When the System Configuration window opens, go to the Services tab.
- Mark the Hide All Microsoft Services checkbox.
- Click Disable all and then hit the Apply button to save the changes.
- Now, navigate to the Startup tab and click Open Task Manager.
- On the following page, ensure you’re on the Startup tab.
- Select the application one by one and click on the Disable button.
- Now, close Task Manager and click OK in the System Configuration Startup tab.
- Eventually, restart the computer to update Windows again.
9} Remove SoftwareDistribution Folder’s Contents
The Software Distribution folder collects the downloaded files required to install new updates. It keeps your device safe and secure and with the latest fixes and improvements. In case of any faulty updates, you can remove the files manually from here. This will force the system to re-download the updates. To complete the process, go to the below section and follow the instructions –
- Click on the Windows Search and type “cmd”.
- Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- When UAC prompts on the screen, click on the Yes button.
- Type the following command and hit Enter after each one –
net stop wuauserv net stop bits
- This will stop the Windows Update Service, Cryptographic, and MSI Installer as well.
- Navigate to the path C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder.
- Select all the files and then delete them.
- In case, some files are in use and you’re unable to remove them then restart your device.
- On startup, run the above command again in the elevated command prompt.
- After performing, restart your device again.
- On Startup, open the Elevated Command Prompt as explained above.
- Type the following command and hit Enter key after each one –
net start wuauserv net start bits
- Now, exit Command Prompt and restart your device.
10} Find the problematic services
As per the users’ reports, certain services can intervene with your system and cause Error 0x80070020 to prompt on the desktop. However, you can find these services by using the Command Prompt. To do that, just perform the following steps –
- Open Command Prompt as an administrator as discussed above.
- On the following screen, execute the commands one by one –
netstat -aon | find “:80” netstat -aon | find “:443”
- This will show you a list of information. On the right side of the page, you will see numbers that represent the ID of the processes.
- Now, open the Task Manager using Ctrl + Shift + Esc shortcut key.
- On the following page, go to the Details tab and look at the PID column.
- Locate the problematic process, select it and click End task.
- Now go to the Services tab and check the PID column for any numbers.
- If you find a match, right-click the service with that PID, and select Stop option.
Keep in mind that certain services are required by Windows, so be careful while disabling services. This is an advanced workaround, therefore be extra cautious and follow the instructions properly.
11} Use Windows Media Creation tool
If none of the above workarounds work for you, there is an alternative way to fix Error 0x80070020. Media Creation Tool is one of the best methods to manually keep your system up to date without relying on Windows Update. This process will install the latest version of Windows, also it will keep all your files and applications intact. Here’s how to do it –
- Download Media Creation Tool from Microsoft’s website.
- Right-click on the downloaded tool and select Run as administrator.
- When UAC prompts on the screen, click the Yes button.
- Accept the Applicable notices and license terms.
- Select Upgrade this PC now and hit the Next button.
- Wait for a while as the software prepares the necessary files.
- Select Download and install updates and click Next.
- Follow the on-screen instructions until you reach Ready to install screen.
- Click on Change what to keep.
- Select Keep personal files and apps and then click Next.
- The installation will now start, follow the instructions to complete it.
That’s it. Hope you found this guide helpful. You can share your feedback in comments.