Several users reported receiving an error code 0x80070016 when they were attempting to play some media files using the Movies & TV app. If you are one such user and looking for ways to solve this problem, follow this guide till the end. In this article, we have discussed the probable causes behind this error code including five workarounds. Before you apply any fix, make sure to check if your media file codec is supported by Movies & TV.
Upon encountering this error code, you may receive an error message that reads the following –
Can't play, Please try again.
If the problem continues, visit https://support.microsoft.com to check for guidance.
Error Code 0x80070016
Fix Movies & TV Error Code 0x80070016
If you are getting this error code while playing some media file on your Windows PC, attempt the below fixes one after another.
- Try another Media Player
- Run Video Playback Troubleshooter
- Download and Install Media Codec Pack Tool
- Repair or Reset Movies & TV
- Uninstall Movies & TV
1] Try another Media Player
First of all, you need to check if this error is occurring only on the Movies & TV app, or on other media players as well. Install VLC, KM Player, etc., and attempt to run the faulty media here. In case you do encounter the same error code, this must be a system-related issue. However, if not, you may apply the solutions suggested below.
2] Download and Install Media Codec Pack Tool
At times, you get some error code on Movies & TV because this application doesn’t support all media file extensions or codecs. You have two options to go with. Either purchase that extension on this application or install a supported Media app that allows playing such extension files on your Windows PC.
There are numerous codec packs available for Windows 11/10 PC like K-Lite Codec Pack, Windows 10 Codec Pack, and others. Both of these are free media codec packs and you may play almost all media file extensions using them.
The error code 0x80070016 might also occur when the Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Packages are not installed on your PC. Download and Install this package on your computer and check if the problem resolves this way.
3] Run Video Playback Troubleshooter
Microsoft allows troubleshooting each and every component on its Windows PC using the troubleshooter. Launch and run this tool and check if the problem resolves this way –
- Press Win + I to launch Settings.
- Go to System > Troubleshoot > Other troubleshooters.
- Scroll down to Video Playback and click on the Run button.
- When the troubleshooter launches, click on – “I want to continue with this troubleshooter”. This will check for any issue with the display adapters, HEVC codec status, or corrupt drivers.
- Follow the on-screen instructions next and this will repair the error 0x80070016 on your Windows PC.
In case you are getting this error code on Windows 10, you will find the Video Playback troubleshooter at the following path –
Settings (Win + I) > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Additional troubleshooters
- Scroll down to Video Playback and click on it. When this expands, hit Run the troubleshooter.
Wait for this tool to automatically detect and repair the underlying causes within your Movies & TV app.
4] Repair or Reset Movies & TV app
In case none of the above workaround help to resolve this error code, you should repair or reset this Movies & TV app. First of all, try repairing this app as this will not get rid of the stored data on the application. If the repairing doesn’t work, go and reset this app. Here’s how to perform this task –
- Press Win + X, and select Installed apps from the Power Menu.
- Type Movies & TV on the Search bar and you will see the same application in the searched list.
- Click the three dots available on its right end and select Advanced options.
- On the subsequent screen, click on Repair first. In case the repairing Movies & TV fails, click on the Reset button.
Now, check if the error code 0x80070016 resolves on your Windows PC.
5] Uninstall Movies & TV
In case you are still getting an error code 0x80070016 while playing some media on Movies & TV, you may reinstall this app. For this, you need to uninstall this application first. Go to Settings > Apps > Installed Apps, and search for Movies & TV. Click the three dots available on its right end and hit the Uninstall button.
After this app uninstalls, make sure to restart your PC. This will remove any leftover or residual files associated with the Films & TV app. Go to Microsoft Store next and search for Movies & TV. Click on the Get button and install this app on your Windows 11/10 PC.
How to Solve a Missing Codec Error on Movies & TV?
A codec is required to play any media file on your computer, smartphone, or other gadgets. By default, Movies & TV supports a wide range of codecs like m4v, .mp4, .mov, .asf, .avi, .wmv, .m2ts, .3g2, and several others. However, there are codecs that are not supported by this application. So, when you play some media files having a codec that is not supported by Films & TV, you may encounter some error code. Download and Install the K-Lite media codec and see if it resolves this issue.
- How to Fix Error 0xc00d5212 while playing AVI videos
- How to Uninstall VLC Media Player from Windows PC
- Fix VLC Not working on Windows 11
Tip: If you are facing update, activation, or driver issues on your Windows PC, try RESTORO PC Repair Tool. This software will scan your device for potential issues and resolve them automatically.