Several users are encountering Error 0xe0000100 these days while trying to install Windows 10 on their PC. The prime reasons that lead to this bug are the presence of corrupt system files, software distribution folder. While experiencing this issue, one won’t be able to download the monthly patches as well. In this guide, we discuss different methods to resolve the installation Error 0xe0000100 so that you get the scheduled updates by Microsoft.
Configure Windows Firewall, Repair faulty system files using SFC scan, and reset the update components are some useful ways to resolve error 0xe0000100. If the issue persists even after this, perform a clean install using a bootable UEFI media. Let’s explore these methods in detail –
Fix Error 0xe0000100 on Windows 10 PC
To fix the installation error 0xe0000100, use these workarounds –
1} Turn off Firewall and Antivirus
The active Windows Security may sometimes cause the installation error 0xe0000100 on Windows 10 PC. It identifies the files as a threat and so prevents the installation of Windows Updates. All you need is to disable the Windows Defender Firewall temporarily or third-party antivirus (if installed). Here is how to do –
- Right-click on the Windows icon and select Settings.
- Select the Update & Security category.
- Next, tap the Windows Security option.
- Jump to the right-pane and hit the Firewall and Network Protection option.
- On the following wizard, click the Private Network link.
- Afterward, disable the Windows Defender Firewall toggle switch.
- Lastly, try updating the existing OS and see the improvements.
2} Use SFC scan
In case, you are still getting this update issue, the system files might have become obsolete. To diagnose this bug, scan and repair the core files using System File Checker utility. Here’s how to proceed –
- Click the Search icon and type Command Prompt.
- Right-click on the same option and choose Run as Administrator.
- Press Yes on the UAC window to go ahead.
- On elevated prompt, execute the following command –
- This will look for problematic files and repair the same.
3} Reset Windows Update Components
The presence of corrupt Windows components may also result in installation error 0xe0000100 on your PC. If that’s the case, you should reset Update components using these steps –
- Press Win and R together to start Run.
- Type cmd at the void and simultaneously press Ctrl+Shift+Enter keys.
- If UAC appears, tap Yes.
- Now copy-paste the following codes one by one and hit Enter at the end.
net stop bits net stop wuauserv
- Executes the above commands line will stop BITS and Windows Update Services.
- Now, deactivate the qmgr.dat files executing the following command –
Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat” cd /d %windir%\system32
- Afterward, you need to re-register BITS as well as Windows Update. To do so, run these codes separately –
regsvr32.exe atl.dll regsvr32.exe urlmon.dll regsvr32.exe mshtml.dll regsvr32.exe shdocvw.dll regsvr32.exe browseui.dll regsvr32.exe jscript.dll regsvr32.exe vbscript.dll regsvr32.exe scrrun.dll regsvr32.exe msxml.dll regsvr32.exe msxml3.dll regsvr32.exe msxml6.dll regsvr32.exe actxprxy.dll regsvr32.exe softpub.dll regsvr32.exe wintrust.dll regsvr32.exe dssenh.dll regsvr32.exe rsaenh.dll regsvr32.exe gpkcsp.dll regsvr32.exe sccbase.dll regsvr32.exe slbcsp.dll regsvr32.exe cryptdlg.dll regsvr32.exe oleaut32.dll regsvr32.exe ole32.dll regsvr32.exe shell32.dll regsvr32.exe initpki.dll regsvr32.exe wuapi.dll regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll regsvr32.exe wuaueng1.dll regsvr32.exe wucltui.dll regsvr32.exe wups.dll regsvr32.exe wups2.dll regsvr32.exe wuweb.dll regsvr32.exe qmgr.dll regsvr32.exe qmgrprxy.dll regsvr32.exe wucltux.dll regsvr32.exe muweb.dll regsvr32.exe wuwebv.dll
- Next, reset the Winsock services using the below command –
netsh winsock reset
- Once you perform the changes as described above, Restart the BITS and Windows Update services.
net start bits net start wuauserv
- When this finishes, navigate to the Check for updates and install any pending (available) updates.
4} Install updates using Media Creation Tool
If the error 0xe0000100 persists even after resetting BITS, Windows Services, one should perform a clean install of Windows 10 using a bootable UEFI drive. Doing so will remove the Windows directory and fresh install any pending programs via the Media Creation tool. Here is the complete procedure –
Note: Before performing a clean install, make sure to create a full system backup.
- Download the Media Creation Tool.
- Now right-click on the setup file and select Run as Administrator from the context menu.
- Tick the Accept the license term checkbox then press Next.
- On the succeeding wizard, check the Upgrade this PC radio button.
- Wait for the Updates to download and install successfully.
You may now download and apply any pending updates without receiving the error 0xe0000100.