Today, in this guide, we will discuss one of the nagging issues i.e. File system Error 1073740791 on Windows 10 PC. This problem is mainly associated with the bad sector in the Hard drive and Sound Scheme. It generally occurs when you try to open the system as an administrator. Here, we will explore some easy workarounds to solve this error.
SFC and Chkdsk command are the best two solutions to repair such issues if the fault in system files. Theme and Sounds settings may also create such bugs on your PC, so reset them to back to default. If the error still persists, you must change the log-in account as Local or Administrator.
- Open Windows 10 in Safe mode
- Perform SFC command
- Run chkdsk command
- Change Sound Scheme of your PC
- Set Windows 10 theme to default
- Reset Windows Store Cache
- Sign-in using a new user account
Fix- File system Error 1073740791 in Windows 10
Here, we discuss step-wise workarounds to encounter File system Error 1073740791 in Windows 10.
Note: Before applying any fixes, do Create a Restore point to prevent data loss in case something goes wrong.
These workarounds are also helpful in resolve File system error with the following codes.
File System Error (-1073545193) File System Error (-1073741819) File System Error (-2018375670) File System Error (-2144926975) File System Error (-1073740791)
Open Windows 10 in Safe mode
Since Safe mode runs a few applications and drivers to log in, you should open your system in Safe mode then follow the below troubleshooting guide. Here is how to enter into safe mode on the normal window-
Jointly Press Win logo & R to launch Run dialog.
Here in the void box, type MSConfig then hit Enter to invoke System Configuration.
Once the page appears up, tap the boot tab and mark the checkbox Safe Boot option.
Now click Apply thereafter OK to save the changes.
At last, Restart your system and apply different ways mentioned below in chronological order after sign in with Safe Mode.
1. Perform SFC command
The System file checker is a utility command use to scan and repair corrupt system files that exist on your system. In case you don’t know how to do, here is the process-
- Go to Cortana and type Command Prompt.
- On the search result, right-click on the same option and choose Run as Administrator option.
- Tap Yes if UAC prompt asks to authorize the access.
On the prompt area, type the following code and hit Enter to let execute the command line.
In case it doesn’t work for whatsoever reasons, you should type below command code-
sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows
- This command takes several minutes to repair Windows, so wait patiently.
Once finished, Reboot your system normally and check if the problem has solved now or not.
2. Run chkdsk command
When the issue lies in a specific disk drive, it may cause File system Error 1073740791 on Windows 10 PC. Here, the chkdsk command is indeed helpful to locate the fault in any sector and repair it if possible. Here are the steps-
Step-1: Press Win & R altogether to launch Run dialog.
Step-2: Type cmd in the text area and simultaneously hit Ctrl+Shift+Enter to open Command Prompt(Admin).
If UAC dialog pops up, tap Yes to permit the access.
Step-3: Henceforth, type the following code in the prompt section and press Enter to begin its execution.
chkdsk C: /f /r /x
Here, C: denotes the drive where you want to check; and f implies the permission to fix the issue if found. Again, r is there to search recovery on the bad sector and x guides check disk to dismount the drive before beginning the task.
Step-4: If new instructions appear up, asking you to schedule the scan after Reboot, type Y to give permission.
This will take approx. 15 minutes to complete the whole process, so wait patiently. Once finished, Sign-up normally and check if the problem has gone out from your System or not.
3. Change Sound Scheme of your PC
As per several user’s reports, alteration in Sound Scheme might resolve the File system Error 1073740791. To do the necessary changes, you need to go through the following steps-
Go to the right pane of the system tray and make a right-click on the Volume icon.
Select Sounds option on the pop-up menu, after that tap Sound tab on the next page.
Now under the Sound Scheme section, select No sounds or Windows default using the drop-down menu.
Subsequently, click Apply then OK to save the changes.
Once over, Reboot your system and see whether the File system Error 1073740791 has fixed or not. If not, try the next workarounds.
4. Set Windows 10 theme to default
Sometimes arbitrarily setting Windows 10 theme, may lead to this File system trouble. Hence, change it to default by following below procedure-
- Press Win & E together and select Settings on the Power menu.
- Once the page comes into view, select the Personalization category.
- Now select Themes at the left column then click on the Windows default theme on the right pane.
- At last, hit the Save theme and Restart your system.
The File System error 1073740791 stays fixed after the next log-in.
5. Reset Windows Store Cache
In general, cache files stored in Microsoft Store can also create troubles like File system Error 1073740791. Thus, it is best to clean the cache from this app. Here is how to proceed-
At first, right-click on the Windows icon and select Run from the Power menu.
On the popup window, type Wsreset.exe and click on OK to start the process.
When the task is finished, restart your system so that changes made so far come into effect.
6. Sign-in using a new user account
If you try the above processes, but the file system issue is still available, the problem might be in the sign-in User account. You need to remove the previous account and create a new user account. If you don’t know how to create one, here are the process to create such manually-
Create a new local user account
- At first, tap the Windows icon and select the Gear icon (Settings).
- On the next screen, select Account followed by Sign in with a local account instead of in the right section.
- Here, enter the credentials like email, password then Next to go ahead.
- On succeeding window, put a new User account name and Password then hit the Finish button to confirm the changes.
Create the new administrator account
To create a new administrator account, you need to follow these steps-
- Jointly press Win logo & I to launch Settings.
- Select Accounts among different categories thereafter Family & other people.
- Switch to its corresponding right panel and hit Add someone else to this PC.
- Henceforth fill the credentials like User name & Password followed by Next to go ahead.
- After setting this information, select the Finish button to confirm the changes.
Now Sign-into your new account with administrator privileges by navigating to the following path-
Settings>Account>Family& Other people> change account type > Administrator> OK
If the File system Error 1073740791 is still available, you need to delete the old administrator account. To perform this go to the Account category of Settings app then Family & Other people.
Select Remove option on the right section, thereafter Delete account and data.
Hope this time you will surely succeed in fixing file system error from your computer.
If all fixes failed to sort out this trouble, it might be due to corrupted system files. Hence, it would be best to reinstall Windows 10 again.