Today, we will discourse about a unique bug that occurs from time to time on Windows 10 PC. This is none other than the error code 0xc0000005 which is either associated with the distinct application or Update issue. This can terminate any application randomly and while doing so display the error note –
"The application was unable to start correctly".
There are different reasons that can arise such troubles like – error code 0xc0000005. However, the important ones are – shutdown issues, damaged system files, incomplete installation or deleted software or hardware. Repair damaged files, removing spyware or other third party application, check the heath performance of HDD or RAM and clean install Windows may help you to fix this bug. Let’s explore these workarounds in more detail-
- System File Checker
- Repair Boot Configuration Data
- Disable Antivirus
- Perform Full Scan
- Update Driver
- Turn off Data Execution Prevention
- Run DISM command
- Use System Restore
- Check your Hard disk drive
- Clean install Windows
Solutions – Error code 0xc0000005 in Windows 10
Here, we describe several working workarounds to fix error code 0xc0000005 on Windows 10 PC.
System File Checker
System File Checker is inbuilt integrity of Windows. This is designed to repair corrupt system files and protect them if anything goes wrong. Just follow the steps described below-
Step-1: Go to Cortana and type cmd in the text box.
Step-2: Make a right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator from the context menu.
Note: You may receive the User Account Control prompt, select Yes to authorize the access.
Step-3: Again on the black screen, type following command and press Enter to execute the code.
This will take some time to finish the searching process, so wait patiently.
Once it is over, check whether the issue 0xc0000005 still persists or has gone.
Repair Boot Configuration Data
When BCD codes get corrupted, this may also lead to the application error while running different apps. To overcome this situation, you need to repair infected Boot Configuration Data by following these simple steps-
- Press Win & R together to launch Run dialog then type cmd in the text box.
- Hold and press Ctrl+ Shift+Enter keys combination to open Command Prompt as administrator.
- If the UAC prompt appears, select Yes to permit the access.
- Subsequently, type BCDEdit near the blinking cursor followed by Enter key.
Now type the following command lines one by one and press Enter at the end of each command.
attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
Once the above process is over, Restart your system. After the next login, you may notice the error 0xc0000005 is no longer available on your PC.
If you are using any third-party antivirus application, they may cause such issues. Hence, it is better to uninstall the anti-malware program and use the updated version of Windows Defender. Here is how to proceed-
- At first, click the Search icon and type Control Panel in the text box.
- Click on the well-matched result to launch the app.
- Under the program category, select Uninstall a program option.
- Here, select third-party antivirus application and hit the Uninstall button available at the top on the same page.
- Again, select the Uninstall option on the pop-up menu to confirm the changes.
Once finished, Reboot your Windows PC and try to update your system.
Perform Full Scan
If there lies malware inside your System, they can infect your personal files and cause error code 0xc0000005. For security purposes, perform a full scan on your computer and remove malicious files if found. Here are the steps to follow-
- Go to the right pane on System tray and select Windows Security.
- Once the new window opens up, hit the shield icon (Virus & threat protection) followed by Scan options.
- Here, select three horizontal lines then mark the Full Scan radio button, there forth Scan now.
This will take some time to detect issues. Once this completes the searching process, remove the malicious files and Restart your system.
The device driver plays a vital role in the smooth functioning of your system. If any driver gets corrupted, the error 0xc0000005 may arise. To manage this trouble, detect the culprit driver and update the same to its latest version.
- Press Win & X altogether to launch the Power menu.
- Select Device Manager from the list of options.
- Now expand each category on the new window and search for any problematic driver.
- Once found, right-click on it and select Update driver using the shortcut menu.
- On the next screen, select Search automatically for updated driver software.
- This will automatically detect the missing driver and download the updated version, suitable for your system.
Note: This is a time-consuming process and depends upon internet speed. Hence, wait patiently.
Turn off Data Execution Prevention
When DEP feature is set as enabled, it may prevent the proper running of Windows. As a result, error 0xC0000005 occurs. Disabling this is the best way to solve this issue. Here’s how to disable such services-
- Press Win & E hotkeys together to open File Explorer.
- Make a right-click on This PC on the left section thereafter properties from the context menu.
- Move again to the left pane and hit the Advanced system settings link.
- Under System Properties window, tap the Advanced tab followed by Settings under the Performance section.
- Succeeding after, choose the Data Execution Prevention tab then unmark
Turn on DEP for essential windows program and services only the theradio button. See Snapshot below-
Lastly, hit Apply and OK button to confirm the changes afterward Reboot your PC.
Run DISM command
Sometimes bad sector in memory is most likely the real culprit behind failed error code 0xc0000005. Thus, check the disk’s health performance and replace it with new ones if there exists some fault. Just follow the below steps to clean RAM-
- Press Win & R shortcut key together to open the Run dialog box.
- Type cmd in the void and hold the Ctrl+ Shift key then hit Enter to begin Command Prompt as Admin.
- If UAC Prompts, select Yes.
- Again, copy/paste the following command line near the blinking cursor followed by enter. This will start scanning the whole PC-
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
This process will take some time to complete the whole task, so wait patiently. Once finished, Restart your system and check if the Update and application failed error 0xc0000005 is there or not.
Use System Restore
After applying the above methods, If there exists the Update and application failed error 0xc0000005; switching to an earlier date when your computer was working effectively is the best solution to encounter this bug. We are talking about creating a System Restore points. This is pretty simple, all you need is to follow these steps-
- Select File Explorer icon from the system tray then Right clicks on This PC option available at the left column.
- Choose Properties option on the context menu thereafter Advanced system settings on the following page.
- Once the new page appears, move to the System Protection tab then System Restore button.
- Succeeding that, hit the Next button there forth Show more restore points checkbox.
- Now, select a recently created restore point then press the Next option.
Now go through the on-screen instructions and wait till the task finishes. Don’t forget to save the changes customized so far.
Check your Hard disk drive
Sometimes, the hard drive itself goes corrupt and so does the store data inside. In general, this can slow down your computer and ultimately result in error code 0xc0000005 while working on any application. If that’s the case, you have to replace old hard-disk with the newer ones. Here, are the easy steps to find whether your hard drive is OK or have gone corrupted.
- Firstly, log off your system and remove all the cables except of keyboard and mouse.
Note: If you are a laptop user, remove the battery.
- Replace the HDD then plug the cables back and Restart your system.
- In case, you don’t have any idea how to do, contact the hardware manufacturer.
Clean install Windows
If all the above methods do nothing and error code 0xc0000005 is still available, perhaps something goes wrong in the OS itself. Hence, clean install Windows 10 is a good choice. Before proceeding, you should delete other disk partition as well to rule out the possibility of corrupt drives. Here is the detailed procedure-
1. At first, visit the Microsoft official website.
2. When the webpage opens up, select the Download tool now button and store the set-up file on your PC.
3. Henceforth, open the downloaded .exe file to know about its characteristics.
4. On succeeding screen, click the Accept button to go ahead.
5. Furthermore, select keep your files and apps followed by the Next option.
6. Now, go through the On-screen instructions until this process is finished.
Once the task gets over, Reboot your PC to save the changes made so far. Hope, you won’t find the Error code 0xc0000005 anymore while working on your System.