Today, in this blog post, we will discourse error code 0x80004005, its various causes and related solutions. This bug arises mostly in the case of failed Windows 10 Update. This is why, you must check for updates if available for your System’s architect and apply the same to get rid off this trouble.
Missing or corrupt DLL files, obsolete disk drives, outdated Windows Update are some of the prime reasons behind this Error 0x80004005. Manually install recent update, Run Troubleshooter, SSU and use System restore point are some common approaches to fix this issue. If none of these works, you may also execute DISM command or replace Dpcdll.dll File to solve this problem.
Run the Windows Troubleshooter
- Run System File Checker Commands
- Run System File Checker Commands
- Perform DISM Command
- Replace Dpcdll.dll File
- Update your PC with latest patches and SSU
- Use System Restore point
- Perform a Clean Install
Solutions to Error code 0x80004005 on Windows 10
Here, we depict several methods to fix error code 0x80004005 on your Windows 10 PC. Let’s learn them one after another in detail-
1. Run the Windows Troubleshooter
Most of the time, a failed Update may cause the appearance of several bugs. Error code 0x80004005 is one such instance and you can fix this trouble using the default Troubleshooter.
Step 1: Press Windows + S altogether to open the Search.
Step-2: Type Control Panel in the search field and hit Enter key.
Step 3: On next window, choose Small icons in View by: thereafter scroll down and hit Troubleshooting.
Step-4: Again from the left section, click View All followed by System and Security.
Step 5: Now, right-click on the Windows Update and select Run as an Administrator.
Step 6: On succeeding window, click Advanced option. Here, activate Apply repairs automatically check box afterwards Next to proceed further.
Step 7: Again, click on the close button to complete the repairing process. Tap View detailed information to see the entire result.
Step 8: Lastly, Restart your PC so as to save the changes made so far.
2. Run System File Checker Commands
The System core files play vital role in the smooth running of your entire PC. If any of these files get corrupted, there may arise error 0x80004005. If that’s the case, running System File Checker may resolve this bug. Here’s how to go ahead-
- Press Windows + R together to launch Run dialog.
- Type cmd in the text box, hold Ctrl+Shift key thereafter hit Enter.
- The Command Prompt as administrator will start when you tap Yes in the UAC prompt.
- At blinking cursor, type the below command line and hit Enter to execute the same.
- Wait a couple of minutes till it finishes searching and correcting corrupt files.
At last, Close the command Prompt and Update your Windows Copy again.
3. Perform DISM Command
Bad Memory sector may also cause the issue 0x80004005 on your Windows 10 device. This is why, try checking the health of your RAM using DISM command. Here are the steps to follow-
- Type Command Prompt in the Search box and right click on the well-matching result from the list.
- Select Run as Administrator option from the context menu.
- If the UAC prompts, tap Yes to permit the access.
- On elevated prompt, type the following code and hit Enter key at the end.
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- Since this is a time-consuming process, it may take approx 10 to 15 min to finish the whole process.
Once the scanning process is over, Reboot your PC to save the changes.
4. Replace Dpcdll.dll File
Another prime reason behind this error code 0x80004005 is missing or faulty Dpcdll.dll file in your system. To fix this problem, you need to copy Dpcdll.dll file on problematic computer and install the same under following path-
- Go to the official website and download Dpcdll.dll as per your system model either 32 or 64 bit.
- The file available there is in Zip mode, hence extract it after downloading and save it at specific location.
- Now double click on its icon to install the setup file.
- Further, copy the Dpcdll.dll library and paste it into the C:\Windows\System32 path. See Snapshot below-
Note: If you are using a 64 bit computer, copy the Dpcdll.dll file and navigate to the C:\Windows\sysWOW64 directory then paste the file here.
The error may disappear after performing above steps. If not, try next workaround-
5. Update your PC with latest patches and SSU
The error code 0x80004005 is a kind of update error and may auto-fix after installing recent patches or servicing stack. Here are the steps-
- First of all, visit the official website Microsoft Update Catalog.
- Identify and download the latest patches or SSU depending upon your system architect i.e. 32 or 64 bit.
- If a new window prompts, tap Save button to download the setup file.
- When the download finishes, double click on the setup file to start updating your PC.
- After your System updates, Reboot your PC and check if the trouble gets fixed or not.
6. Use System Restore point
System Restore point is basically a mirror image of your Windows 10 at an earlier point of time. It is better to create such several restore points when your PC is well functioning and performing effectively.
If you have created one such, it’s high time to use that to resolve this 0x80004005 error. However, if not, move to the next workaround. Here is the complete procedure to use previously created system restore point-
- Go to Start and type Create a System Restore Point in the text box.
- Under System Protection tab, hit System Restore button.
- Henceforth, click Next option.
- Now, select the recently created restore point and hit Scan for affected programs button.
- If everything is alright, hit Close button then Next to proceed further.
- At last, tap Finish button to start this process.
Once the above task is over, your system will return to your previous working state.
7. Perform a Clean Install
If none of the above methods fix the Error code 0x80004005, it is better to clean install of Windows 10. Follow these steps for fresh installation-
- At first, visit Microsoft official website.
- Here, click Download tool now button to download the Media Creation Tool. See Snapshot below-
- When the setup file is downloaded, make a right-click on this and choose Run as Administrator option.
- The Windows installation will start automatically. You will see two options here. Select the one which suits you the most.
- Here, we have selected Upgrade this PC now option; press Accept option afterwards.
- Make sure to select the option “keep your files and apps” on the next screen.
- Finally, hit Install button and follow the on-screen instructions until the whole process is over.
The Windows 10 19H1 installation will take several minutes, so wait patiently.
Note: Clean installation of Windows 10 will erase all the data from the HDD. Therefore, you must create full backup of your system in order to protect your important data.