Windows 10 users run into the critical update error code 0xc0000409 more frequently while installing pending updates or build on their system. There are numerous factors that may lead to this trouble like- faulty updates, corrupt Windows components, blocked Firewalls, and others.
Today, in this article, we illustrate some suitable workarounds to identify the culprit and get rid of this situation. Running the troubleshooter, reset incorrect windows components, temporarily disable Windows Firewall are some probable solutions to cope up with the error code 0xc0000409 issue. However, if the Windows files are indeed corrupt, you have no other options except to clean install the Operating system.
Error code 0xc0000409 in Windows 10 after installing Updates Solutions
Here we have depicted step-wise workarounds to resolve the Error code 0xc0000409 in Windows 10 easily.
1} Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
The Update Troubleshooter is the built-in mechanism of Windows 10 that should be the prime workaround to resolve the update related issues. This will scan the real cause related to this error message and repair the same as soon as possible. Here are the necessary steps-
Step-1: Firstly, press Window key and R hotkey to launch the Run dialog box.
Step-2: In the void area, copy and paste the following code thereafter press the Enter key.
Step-3: Performing this will launch the Troubleshooting inside the Settings app.
Step-4: Subsequently, switch to the right pane of the current wizard and tap Windows Update followed by Run the troubleshooter button.
Step-5: Keep patience until the PC detects the underlying cause; once finished, click Give feedback on this troubleshooter.
Step-6: Next, on the succeeding screen, hit Apply this fix option to repair this bug. In case, you receive multiple actions to resolve; you need to apply all the fixes.
Step-7: After the above task settles, Restart your computer and check whether Error code 0xc0000409 still persists or not.
2} Manually Reset Windows Update Components
Another reason that may start error code 0xc0000409 on your system is the presence of corrupt Windows files. This might even interrupt the on-going installation process thus leaving no other options except to rest the Windows components manually. Follow the below guidelines to repair this bug-
- Click on the Search icon and type Command Prompt.
- From the appeared result, right-click on the well-matched option and choose Run as administrator.
- If the User Account Control window comes up, select Yes to authenticate the access.
- Here, run the following command lines one after another followed by the Enter key separately. These codes will disable certain services running in the background such as BITS services, MSI Installer, Windows Update, and Cryptographic services.
net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop bits net stop msiserver
- Thereupon, you should rename directories like- SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2. To perform this task, execute the below codes one by one and press the Enter key at the end-
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
- Once the above codes are run successfully, you need to re-enable them. To do this, execute these command lines near the winking cursor. Make sure to hit Enter key at the end of each command.
net start wuauserv net start cryptSvc net start bits net start msiserver
- Lastly, close the running window and Reboot your PC.
After re-login into the system, update your computer without struggling with error code 0xc0000409 again.
3} Turn off Windows Defender Firewall
Windows Firewall prevents the fake application from being installed on your system. Sometimes this feature may even block the genuine program, as a result, a random error appears. That’s why you may try disabling the Windows Defender Firewall tool temporarily and download the pending updates again. Here’s how to proceed-
- Type Control panel in the search box and press the Enter key.
- When the app comes into view, expand the Windows Defender Firewall option.
- Subsequently, hit Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off.
- On succeeding screen, check against the Turn off Windows Defender Firewall (not recommended) radio button. Lastly, tap OK to save these settings.
- That’s it, you may now close the running apps, and look for any pending updates.
4} Repair Windows 10
If all of the workarounds fail to solve this issue, you should try repairing the existing OS with the help of a media creation tool. We don’t recommend going for a clean install as there is a possibility of data loss. However, before proceeding ahead, you must create a backup point to safeguard all the documents in case they get damaged. Here are the essential steps to download and install the Windows 10.
- At first, visit the Microsoft official website to download the Media Creation tool.
- When the site opens up, click the Download tool now button; this will store the setup file at the specified location.
- Once over, click upon the setup file thereafter tap Yes on UAC (if prompts) to authenticate.
- On the following setup wizard, click Upgrade this PC now then Next to proceed further.
- The getting things prepared meter will appear immediately after, wait till this reaches 100%.
- Succeeding after click Download and install updates option then Next to move ahead.
- Henceforth, accept the license term on the Windows Setup page followed by the Next button again.
- You will receive the ready to install page, click Install then mark Keep personal files and apps option.
- Lastly, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the remaining process until you repair the Windows 10 completely.
Note: If you already have a Media Creation tool, there’s no need to create it manually. Just open the setup.exe file and follow the steps that appear in between.