KERNEL_LOCK_ENTRY_LEAKED_ON_THREAD_TERMINATION BSOD Error has become very common these days in Windows 10. This bug comes into effect once you upgrade your current Windows operating system to version 1903 or higher. This is similar to the Blue Screen of Death issue (BSOD) whose intention is to lock you out of your Desktop Screen. BSOD Error 0x00000153 represents the same issue.
There might be various reasons which will create this KERNEL LOCK ENTRY LEAKED ON THREAD TERMINATION bug on your System. Some of them could be Dump of memory, malfunction of third-party apps, presence of malware, fault in system files, corrupt hard drive, or obsolete drivers. Using system restore, Delete malicious files, update your OS, and driver are the best workarounds to solve this trouble. In case no fix helps you to resolve this bug, create a backup of your essential files, and reinstall the Window 10 OS.
- Enter into safe mode
- Perform a full virus scan
- Install pending Windows update
- Update driver
- Run sfc/ scannow command
- Check Hard drive corruption
- Use system restore point
- Reinstall Windows 10
What causes this BSOD Error 0x00000153 on Windows 10
The KERNEL_LOCK_ENTRY_LEAKED_ON_THREAD_TERMINATION issue has a value of 0x00000153 which points towards a thread that is sacked even before Auto Boost Lock entries has been freed.
You might get confused above. Let me explain in the layman terminology. Suppose there is a thread that waits for another thread to be released. If the later thread is not released, the previous thread would get locked automatically. This is what occurs in this trouble.
Fix: BSOD Error 0x00000153 in Windows 10 19H1
Here is how to fix KERNEL_LOCK_ENTRY_LEAKED_ON_THREAD_TERMINATION Error 0x00000153 –
1. Enter into safe mode
The Kernel lock Entry Leaked on Thread termination Error 0x00000153 is a BSOD error. It will stick the System thus restricting your access on the login screen. As a result, this fatal error makes your system crash. The only way to come out of this issue is to use a media creation tool and open system in Safe mode. To do this you should follow these steps:
Step-1: First and foremost insert “Windows 10 installation media” like DVD or USB into its respective port then press the restart button.
Step-2: While the system is starting up, simultaneously press any of the function keys like Esc, Delete, F2, F8, F10, F12, or Backspace depending upon your system model.
Step-3: This will open the BIOS of the System. Now under the BIOS settings page, select your preferred language and tap the Next button.
Step-4: On the succeeding screen, click on the Repair your computer option at the lower section of the same page.
Step-4: Navigate to the following option one after another in proper sequence Troubleshoot => Advanced Options => Startup Settings.
Step-5: From the list of options select Enable Safe Mode followed by its functions key and hit the Restart button.
Once you access the login screen, try the below workaround to solve this problem.
2. Perform a full virus scan
Malware attacks in your system can cause problems like BSOD Error 0x00000153. Therefore, scan the entire computer and delete the malicious file (if found any). Here is the default process on Windows 10 –
- Go to Search and type Virus & threat protection. Select the best-matched result then hit Enter.
- Now click on the Scan options then activate the Full scan radio button.
- Again click on the Scan now to initiate the task.
- When the process is finished you will see the list of infected files. Remove these files completely then Restart your PC.
In case the error code persists or there was no malware found, try the next fixes.
3. Install pending Windows update
Sometimes the available pending update can also lead to this Kernel lock Entry Leaked on Thread termination Error 0x00000153 issue. Hence download the update and install this soon. Here is the process-
- Go to the Settings app and click on the Update & Security category on the visible screen.
- Here, under the Windows Update section, go to the right pane and click on the check for update option.
- If you find the remaining update available here, click again on this option. It will automatically download and install the pending update.
- Once the task is completed, Restart your system.
Check whether you can log into your Windows without occurring Kernel lock Entry Leaked on Thread termination issue or not.
4. Update driver
The faulty or corrupted device driver is also responsible for the Kernel lock Entry Leaked on Thread Termination issue on your system. If there are drivers that have become obsolete, try to update them first. Here is the complete procedure:
- Right-click on the Start icon and select Device Manager from the list.
- Now expand each section on the list to locate the faulty driver having a yellow exclamation mark.
- Once found, right-click on the same and choose the update driver option on the context menu.
- Again on the appeared dialogue box select “Search automatically for updated driver software”. This will lookout for the latest driver suitable for your system.
- Repeat this process until each one of the outdated drivers having yellow exclamation mark gets updated.
- Once finished, Reboot your system and check if the Error 0x00000153 has solved or not.
5. Run sfc/ scannow command
There is the probability that some fault occurs in the system files of the Windows operating system which results in BSOD error 0x00000153. If that’s the case, running the system file checker command is a possible workaround to solve this login problem. Here is the complete process:
- Go to Cortana and type Command prompt.
- Right-click on the same and select Run as administrator option.
- Click Yes on the UAC prompt to permit the access.
- Now type sfc/ scannow in the prompt then hit Enter to execute this code. This process will search for the fault in system files and repair them if possible.
- This will take some time to finish, so wait patiently until the task finished.
- At last, Restart your PC so that changes made to the system files would take place.
The KERNEL_LOCK_ENTRY_LEAKED_ON_THREAD_TERMINATION error should no longer occur on the System. If not, follow the next solution –
6. Check Hard drive corruption
If SFC command doesn’t solve this BSOD Error 0x00000153, there is a high chance that your Hard drive has gone corrupt. To check this possibility, run chkdsk /f command on the elevated command prompt (discussed above) and hit Enter. If you are sure that the fault is in your disk drive, change it soon.
Note: To understand the end results generated in the above command run, you need some expertise. If you don’t know anything about this, you can talk to Customer Care Support to discuss this matter with them.
7. Use system restore point
Due to recent changes made on the System like the installation of third-party applications in your PC and others are also liable for the KERNEL_LOCK_ENTRY_LEAKED_ON_THREAD_TERMINATION Error 0x00000153. There is a possibility of some files became corrupted while installing the app. As a result, it generates this Error Message.
In such cases, System Restore point is the best tool to subside the latest changes which are the culprit of this problem and help you to access your previous settings in resolving this trouble. If you don’t know how to use system restore point in Windows 10, here are the steps:
- First of all, go to the Start icon and select the Power icon.
- Now hold the shift key then click on the Restart button.
- When the BIOS mode appears up, select Troubleshoot from the list.
- On the succeeding page, click upon Advanced options thereafter System Restore in the succeeding option.
Note: If there are more than one system Restore points available on your system, select the latest one out of them.
- Now go through the onscreen instructions until the process is completed.
Once the System restarts, we hope the KERNEL_LOCK_ENTRY_LEAKED_ON_THREAD_TERMINATION Error 0x00000153 is no longer available. However, if this issue still exists on the system, fresh install Windows 10 on your Device.
8. Reinstall Windows 10
If you have applied all the above solutions but no fix helps you to solve the Error 0x00000153 on your Windows Machine, you have to clean install the Windows OS again. The re-installation process will remove all the available files & folders or store it in a new way. Again this will also clean temporary or junk files that exist in the system.
Note: Before proceeding to fresh install Windows 10, create a backup of essential documents on HDD/ External Drive.
After performing the fresh installation, KERNEL_LOCK_ENTRY_LEAKED_ON_THREAD_TERMINATION Error 0x00000153 should definitely get solved.
That would be All!