Today, in this article, we depict reasons that arise Device Repair BSOD Error 0xc0000221 along with step-wise workarounds to address this bug check. Basically in this error, your system gets stuck in an automatic repair loop wherein Desktop freezes and displays a blue screen. This trouble occurs when either booting fails or there is some system-level corruption. The following stop error comes into effect either due to software or hardware (RAM or Insufficient Power supply) bugs.
Incompatible device drivers and corrupt system core files are some of the underlying causes behind BSOD Error 0xc0000221. The pending Windows cumulative updates or third-party apps may also lead to this bug check while loading OS. Voltage dip, Memory space, and faulty Graphics driver might also initiate this Blue Screen of Death error. Repair system files, isolate the faulty application/ device driver, Update Windows, and fresh install the OS helps to diagnose the software-related reasons. If the fault is in hardware, replace the affected parts or consult with the manufacturer to get rid of this issue.
List of Contents
- Isolate peripheral GPU and external HDD or SSD
- Open Windows in Safe Mode
- Perform an SFC Scan
- Check the disk using CHKDSK command
- Identify and repair corrupt image files
- Install the latest monthly updates
- Uninstall recent patches to bypass BSOD Error 0xc0000221
- Remove Malware if exist on your system
- Update the corrupt Drivers with Yellow exclamation mark
- Delete junk files from Disk Storage using Disk Cleanup Tool
- Rebuild Boot Configuration Data (BCD)
- Use recently created System Restore point
- Perform a clean install of Windows
Ways to resolve Device Repair Error 0xc0000221 on Windows 10 PC
Here, we depict the working workarounds that may address the PC Repair Error 0xc0000221 on Windows 10-
1} Isolate peripheral GPU and external HDD or SSD
Sudden Power fluctuation or insufficient voltage supply may stop some basic operations thus resulting in BSOD error on the system. To resolve this bug, all you need is to remove the secondary peripheral devices then re-connect the same. Any fault in HDD, GPU, etc. may prohibit you from accessing the Desktop Screen.
Make sure to remove the Mouse and Keyboard as well while unplugging the secondary devices. Re-plug the mouse and restart your PC. Try connecting the devices one by one and see if any results in Stop error. If yes, replace that particular device otherwise follow the next solution.
Note: If you are using a Desktop, try unplugging the wires of hard-disk then re-attach them back to resolve this bug check.
2} Open Windows in Safe Mode
Before proceeding to the troubleshooting guide, try opening your PC in Safe Mode. This is essential as you won’t get the login screen while BSOD error. Safe Mode runs only a few system applications and drivers thus restricting third-party programs that may result in the above stop error.
Note: Usually, BSOD are of two types which are described below-
1} Without Login Screen – In this case, you need to access the Advanced Startup option. One should repeat this process two or three times consecutively during the startup to get the troubleshooting Windows.
2} With Login Screen – If the booting window appears, sign-in to your PC and launch the Run dialog using (Win+R). Type “ms-settings:recovery” in the void thereafter press OK button. On succeeding screen, hit the Restart now button under the Advanced startup section.
Once you reach the Advanced Startup, follow these simple steps-
Step-1: Choose the Troubleshoot button.
Step-2: Henceforth, follow the below sequence-
Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart
Step-3: While the BIOS is loading, press any of the suitable function keys like F4 to Safe Mode or F5 to Safe mode with networking.
Step-4: Using this process, if you receive the login screen, the recently installed application is responsible for this BSOD bug. Look for the lately installed programs/ services and exclude them from the system.
If the Error 0xc0000221 still persists, try below methods after entering into the safe mode-
Note: If you don’t want to access the desktop screen via safe mode instead want to invoke the command prompt, navigate to the following path-
Advanced Startup Options > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt
Now follow the below fixes on an elevated command prompt to bypass this Device/PC repair BSOD error 0xc0000221.
3} Perform an SFC Scan
Corrupt or obsolete system files may start this BSOD error 0xc0000221 on your computer. It is thereby recommended to perform a full scan using the system file checker utility. Usually, this looks for damaged windows files and repair the same. Here are the steps to work upon-
- Right-click on Windows and select the Run option using the Power menu.
- In the void, type cmd and simultaneously press Ctrl+Shift+Enter keys.
- If the User Account Control window prompts, select Yes.
- Next, type sfc/scannow near the winking cursor followed by the Enter key.
- This, in general, takes 10 minutes; so wait accordingly.
- Lastly, Restart your PC and try opening the Windows normally. You might access the Windows screen without getting Device repair BSOD error 0xc0000221.
4} Check the disk using the CHKDSK command
The incorrect disk performance may also return BSOD error code 0xc0000221 on your system. If that’s the case, CHKDSK utility may analyze these faults and repair them if possible. Here are the essential steps-
- At first, go through the method-2 to launch the system into safe mode and cite the Command Prompt as Admin.
- On the elevated prompt, copy/paste the below code and hit Enter key to let the scanning process begin.
chkdsk C: /f /r /x
- Here, chkdsk implies executing the scanning process.
Here is the proper definition of each character used above-
- c – is the disk drive where the Windows installed.
- f – means the settings to detect the faults.
- r – represents scanning faults in the specified disk drive.
- x – implies the partition of the disk drive and let’s begin the repairing process.
5} Identify and repair corrupt image files
In some scenarios, there may lie corrupt Windows files that arise this Device/PC Repair BSOD Error 0xc0000221. To resolve this, just follow the below guideline-
- On the blue screen window, click Advanced Startup Options then Troubleshoot on the succeeding page.
- Next, hit the Advanced Options followed by Command Prompt among six consecutive menus.
- Subsequently, type the below command line near the blinking cursor thereafter press the Enter Key.
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
- This task normally scans all the faulty files and images henceforth repair them. Hence, make sure to have the proper internet connection to complete this.
- Once over, Restart the system and check whether the BSOD Error 0xc0000221 has solved or not.
6} Install the latest monthly updates
Microsoft frequently rolls new cumulative updates to fix several bugs that incorporate on your system. If any such patch remains pending may cause BSOD error. Installing recent releases might help to overcome this situation.
- Click on the Start and hit the Gear icon (Settings).
- When the settings app appears, tap Update & Security then Windows Update from the left column.
- Switch to the right pane and click Check for updates button to install any pending KB.
- When all the files are completely installed, do Restart your PC and see if the BSOD error has resolved or not.
7} Uninstall recent patches to bypass BSOD Error 0xc0000221
Even after applying the above fixes, the system may continue to dig into BSOD 0xc0000221 glitch. In such scenarios, one should remove the newly installed cumulative updates to counter the issue. Always try to install the monthly updates from Microsoft’s official website. Here, we illustrate steps to perform this task-
Step-1: Firstly, go to the Settings app (using Win + I hotkey).
Step-2: When the new window comes into view, select Update & Security category.
Step-3: Move to the right pane of the Windows Update section and tap View update history.
Step-4: Subsequently, click the Uninstall updates link to proceed further.
Step-5: Now, locate recent updates and hit the Uninstall button on the top ribbon of the consecutive page.
Step-6: Once finished, open the Windows normally after performing a reboot.
8} Remove Malware if any exist on your system
The Trojan files may attack the system, thus turning your Machine slow and inefficient that might generate BSOD errors. To deal with this worrying situation, one should perform a full scan of the entire PC and remove the invasive viruses. The full scan is the utility program used to wipe out the malicious programs and wipe out the Device/PC repair BSOD error 0xc0000221. Here’s how to proceed-
- At first, navigate to the right pane of the Taskbar and select the Windows Security icon.
- When you access the page, select the shied icon (Virus & threat protection).
- Moving below, hit the Scan options link thereafter mark the Full scan radio button.
- Scroll down and tap Scan now to let the detection process begin.
- This process will take a few minutes to search for the underlying faults on the HDD.
- Lastly, you will receive three consecutive options, select Remove then Start actions to clean all the malicious components from the system.
9} Update the corrupt Drivers with Yellow exclamation mark
In general, an obsolete or incompatible device driver may also result in this PC repair BSOD error 0xc0000221 on your system. To resolve this bugcheck, it is important to update the drivers regularly. Device Manager may help to locate the faulty drivers with the Yellow exclamation mark. Further, you may update that one following outline-
- Do the right-click on the Windows icon and select Device Manager from Power Menu.
- When the all list appears, expand each section separately and find out the Yellow exclamation mark beside the device driver.
- Once found, right-click on the faulty driver and choose the Update driver option.
- Next, you will receive two consecutive options, choose Search automatically for updated driver software. Just follow the remaining instructions to complete this task.
- This will auto-search for the suitable driver and update the faulty ones. So make sure, you have a proper internet connection to download the respective file.
- Once the updating process is finished, Restart your computer to save the changes made so far.
10} Delete junk files from Disk Storage using Disk Cleanup Tool
The existence of arbitrary cache while using programs might pile up, thus resulting in PC crashes due to BSOD error. All you require is to remove these junk files using the disk clean-up tool. Here are the necessary steps-
- Go to the Search icon and type cleanmgr in the text field thereafter select the Disk Cleanup.
- Thereupon, select the specified drive (mostly C:) that you are going to clean followed by the OK.
- The system will start collecting the cache as well as the unnecessary files, move to the bottom and hit the Clean up system file button.
- Going ahead, choose the C: drive again henceforth OK button.
- On the next page, mark all the check-boxes and hit OK to delete these fields.
- After completing the cleaning process, Restart your system and check whether the above BSOD error resolves or not.
11} Rebuild Boot Configuration Data (BCD)
The other common culprit behind this Device/PC repair BSOD error 0xc0000221 is due to the damaged boot configuration data on Windows 10. To resolve this issue, you need to reset the BCD codes going through these simple procedure-
- Click on the Advanced Startup Options from the blue screen.
- From three consecutive options, click Troubleshoot.
- Next, select Advanced Options followed by the Command Prompt.
- When the prompt appears, run the following codes one after another and separately hit the Enter key.
bootrec /scanos bootrec /fixmbr bootrec /fixboot bootrec /rebuildbcd
- After executing the above command lines, Restart your system and check if the Device repair BSOD error 0xc0000221 has settled or not.
In case, the trouble continues to persist even after this, try the next workarounds to solve this bug.
12} Use recently created System Restore point
In general, when you install a new application; there is a possibility of a faulty program that enters and triggers the BSOD error. If that’s the case, it becomes too complex to identify the incorrect programs and resolve the issue. System Restore is a healthy attribute of Windows that takes your OS to an earlier point where it was running completely fine. Additionally, it requires you must have created a restore point previously. Here’s how to restore the recently created System Restore point-
- Firstly open the Windows in safe mode (discussed above).
- Jointly press Windows key and R to launch the Run dialog.
- In the void box, type “rstrui” and tap the OK button.
- When the System Restore wizard appears, press the Next button. Next, hit the Show more restore points in order to see the available restore points.
- Now select the latest restore point followed by the Next again.
- At last, hit the Finish button thereafter Yes to confirm the final permission to start the restoring Windows.
- When this process is over, your system will restart and wipe out the recent changes that you have made on your PC.
This method surely helps to resolve the problem. The Device/PC repair BSOD error 0xc0000221 will no longer cause the blue screen.
13} Perform a clean install of Windows
If all of the above fixes do nothing and the circumvent BSOD issue 0xc0000221 still available, re-installing the Windows 10 is the perfect solution to get rid of this circumstance. Doing this clears all the data, fresh loads the Windows 10 thus may diagnose the underlying cause.
- Before proceeding to the further steps, do create the full backup of all personal files. This is necessary as there is probability of data loss while fresh installing Windows 10 OS.
- This requires Media Creation Tool and sufficient storage on HDD (minimum 4 GB for 32 bit and 8 GB for 64-bit depending upon the architecture).
Let’s explore the essential steps-
- At first, insert the Windows installation media like a USB flash device to its respective port and Restart your PC.
- While the BIOS is loading, press any of the motherboard’s supported function keys i.e. Del, Esc, F2, F9 to enter into the boot mode.
- On the next Windows setup screen, click the Next button thereafter Install now on the succeeding screen.
- When the new window appears, enter the genuine product key. You may skip this step as well.
- Now, accept the license terms thereafter Next to go ahead.
- Succeeding after, select the Custom: Install Windows only (advanced) option.
- Here, you need to recreate each partition; so delete the previous one and re-allocate using specified storage capacity.
- After completing the necessary steps, out of box experience window comes up.
- Follow the on-screen instructions until this fresh install Windows 10 OS.
That’s it, we hope this article helps to resolve the Device repair BSOD error 0xc0000221 on your PC.