With the onset of Windows 10 20H1 May 2020 Update, Cortana becomes an independent entity. Since this doesn’t remain a regular app, one may completely remove Cortana from the computer. If you ever want this back, just go to the Microsoft Store and download/install this virtual assistant. In this post, we discuss a few methods that can fix the Cortana not working issue on Windows 10 version 2004.
Windows featured Update is known for bugs and errors. If you have recently started facing trouble on Cortana, this implies either there occurs an issue or this app is not available in your region. The first thing users must perform is to End Cortana using the Task Manager interface. If the bug persists even after this, uninstall/Reinstall Cortana or simply restrict its opening at the Windows Startup.
Ways to Fix Cortana not working Issue on Windows 10 2004
To solve the Cortana not working issue on Windows 10 2004 [20H1], use the following workaround –
1. End Cortana Session via Task Manager
A simple Restart may solve the Cortana issue. Here are the essential steps to work upon –
- Make a right-click on the taskbar and hit Task Manager.
- Click More details thereafter switch to the Processes tab.
- Do to the right-click again on the Cortana and hit “End Task”. See the Snapshot below –
- After this is over, Cortana stays disabled on Windows 10 PC.
2. Uninstall and Reinstall Cortana
Although Microsoft doesn’t create a separate GUI that displays the uninstall button, one may disable Cortana using PowerShell (Admin). Here’s how to proceed –
- Make a right-click on the Win icon and select Windows PowerShell (Admin).
- On the succeeding blue screen, run the following command –
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.549981C3F5F10 | Remove-AppxPackage
- When the uninstall completes, navigate to the Microsoft Store and re-download and install the Cortana app. Alternatively, one may use this direct link to do so.
3. Prevent Cortana from launching during Windows Startup
In case you want to restrict the Cortana app so that it doesn’t appear during Windows startup, use the steps –
- Jointly press Win+I to invoke the Settings app. Select Apps thereafter Apps & Features.
- Head over to the right side and click to expand Cortana. Here, hit Advanced options as depicted below –
- On the next screen, scroll down to the “Runs at log-in” section and turned off its toggle switch.
That’s it, I hope the above methods indeed solve the Cortana not working issue on Windows 10 device.