This BSOD is uncommon and in this blog post, we explore the different reasons that show Error 0x00000109 along with its probable solutions. It is also known as Critical_Structure_Corruption which usually occurs when a program that is incompatible with the system is used. In this situation, you will no longer see the desktop but a blue screen which causes the device to shut down automatically to prevent more loss of data. Along with the code: 0x00000109, you will experience an abnormal prompt on the screen.
When Blue Screen 0x00000109 occurs, the Windows OS would have terminated several crucial functions making it difficult to use the PC. Accordingly, it is necessary to fix the Blue Screen error immediately. Failure to fix the screen on-time incites many problems like data corruption and data loss. This error occurs because of many reasons, therefore, at first troubleshoot the system prior to detecting the main cause and adopting an appropriate solution. Failure to troubleshoot means adopting the wrong solution which is ineffective in the long run. Hence, it is important to take time and identify the cause before going for a solution. Furthermore, if Windows is able to start after the BSOD error 0x00000109, you may be prompted with the following message –
Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown message that shows:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
List of Contents
- Activate Default Windows BSOD Tool- Blue Screen Troubleshooter
- Fix up all the memory issues in Windows Memory Diagnostic
- Boot Windows 10 into Safe Mode
- Halt the auto-restart of your PC
- Remove Third-Party Antivirus from the System
- Reset the corrupt Windows System components & recover DLL files
- Install recent patches via Windows Update Settings
- Dismiss the existing Malware in Windows Security
- Update the corrupt Drivers with Yellow exclamation mark
- Delete all the junk files from Disk Storage using Disk Cleanup Tool
- Uninstall similar Applications to reduce the risk of their conflict
- Execute the DISM command to repair corrupt Windows files
- Use System Restore to reach to an earlier version
- Delete leftovers of an incomplete Windows Update
- Run Disk Checking Utility via Command Prompt
- Perform Windows Automatic Repair
- Rebuild Boot Configuration Data (BCD)
- Fresh install Windows 10
- Corrupt HDD
Methods to fix 0x00000109 BSOD Error in Windows 10 PC
We provide 19 solutions to fix the error 0x00000109 depending on the above reason analysis. It’s suggested to try the following methods one by one until the BSOD CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION is fixed successfully.
1} Activate Default Windows BSOD Tool- Blue Screen Troubleshooter
In recent times, Microsoft launched Windows Blue Screen Troubleshooter that can look and resolve the potential BSOD errors. This is an in-built Troubleshooter application that finds the root cause of the Blue screen errors and helps you fix them. By default, this section is turned off, hence, enable this tool and follow the below guidelines-
- Go to the Windows search and type ‘Settings’.
- Select the result from the appearing list.
- Choose Update & Security option.
- Click on Troubleshoot from the left column.
- Switch to the right side and locate the Blue Screen option.
- Once you locate, select it and hit Run the troubleshooter button.
- You are done.
If the BSOD Error 0x00000109 is still persisting on the system then jump to the next workaround given below.
2} Fix up all the memory issues in Windows Memory Diagnostic
Faulty RAM sections and incorrect allocation of memory are the two primary reasons that can cause this issue. Windows Memory Diagnostic is a default utility that can efficiently resolve this BSOD Error 0x00000109. Below are the instructions to launch the application-
- Click on the Start icon and type memory.
- Select Windows Memory Diagnostic from the result.
- Choose “Restart now and check for problems (recommended)”.
- As a result, Windows will perform the first round of the reboot.
- You will see a blue-colored page detecting memory issues in the system.
- When the growth rate becomes 100%, the device will reboot again automatically.
- Finally, when your device starts up, check the effects of this diagnosis. This will available in the “System tray- Notification area”.
3} Boot Windows 10 into Safe Mode
When BSOD error occurs, you may not be able to access the Display Screen. Even you may also experience find challenges to apply any fixes. In this situation, start your device into the Safe Mode then only perform the resolution. Being in Safe Mode, the OS loads a minimal user interface, with only the basic and vital services required for it to do. This mode makes it accessible to troubleshoot the BSOD Error 0x00000109 because it does not load such items that can make a Windows crash. Read and apply the following series of steps to enter into the Safe Mode-
Step-1: Press Win+R keys together to invoke the Run dialog.
Step-2: Input msconfig and press the Enter key. This will open the System Configuration wizard.
Step-3: Switch to the Boot tab. Under Boot options, marks the box before Safe boot.
Step-4: Here, the Minimal radio button gets auto-selected. If it doesn’t happen, tick them manually.
Step-5: Click on the Apply button then OK to save the changes.
Step-6: Now, close the current window and Restart your device.
Step-7: When the Windows is booting, keep pressing the F8 key. The function key depends on your System model, hence, know your function key in advance.
Step-8: A new wizard with Safe Boot in Advanced Boot Options prompts on the screen. Select this to enter Safe Mode.
4} Pause the auto-restart of your PC
Out of several bugs that appear due to 0x00000109 BSOD, auto PC reboot irritates the most and it’s also not good user experience. We include the word “most” deliberately as this won’t let you fix the trouble. In an attempt to reduce this issue, disable the auto-restart feature that may provide you adequate time to think and to fix the error message. Here’s how to proceed-
- At first, move to the Desktop Screen by using the Win+D keys.
- Now, press Win+E to open File Explorer.
- Locate This PC and do the right-click on it.
- Choose Properties option from the context menu.
- From the left column of the following screen, select Advanced system settings option.
- In the System Properties wizard, go to the Startup and Recovery section.
- Click on the Settings button.
- Next, go to the System failure section.
- Untick the checkbox against Automatically restart.
- Click the OK to save the changes made so far.
Performing the above steps will simply stop the auto-restarting of your OS and fix CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION in Windows 10 PC.
5} Remove Third-Party Antivirus from the System
Users install a third-party free anti-malware program so as to remove the malicious program and Trojan files. However, they are not worth as their entire features are already available in the Windows Defender app. Therefore, it is more beneficial to make the Windows Security application as the default one. Removing external anti-malware programs will have higher chances to solve the 0x00000109 BSOD error in the system. Here’s the complete procedure-
- Press Win+I to start the Windows Settings.
- On the new window, select the Apps option.
- Click on the Apps & Features from the left panel.
- Switch to the adjacent right side and you will see the list of entire installed applications.
- Click on the third-party antivirus and select the Uninstall button.
- If UAC prompts, tap Yes to approve your consent.
- At last, follow the online instructions to complete the uninstallation process.
We expect the above procedure will resolve the 0x00000109 BSOD error in Windows 10. If not, try the next one –
6} Reset the corrupt Windows System components & recover DLL files
Devices running on the latest OS Windows 10 have more chances of experiencing a dialogue box error. This notifies you of a missing DLL file which soon becomes a problematic job. It also affects the system performance and in other cases, reduces the application trying to run.
In addition, Windows system components slip into corruption for various reasons like malware infection which results in 0x00000109 BSOD. Supporting this action can be perilous to the system. Fortunately, System File Checker is developed by Microsoft which can execute the BSOD CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION efficiently. Here are the following steps to recover the missing DLL files –
- At first, right-click on the Taskbar.
- When the menu appears, select Task Manager and let it open on display.
- Click on the File option located at the top left end and select the “Run new task” option.
- Type cmd in the text field available here.
- Check the box before “Create this task with administrative privileges”
- Click on the OK button and this will open the Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Now, type the following command and hit Enter key – sfc /scannow.
- This will start checking the faulty elements and will fix any other flaw.
- At last, restart your PC when the process ends completely.
7} Install recent patches to Fix BSOD Error 0x00000109
Microsoft releases the cumulative updates in a regular way to avoid several glitches and to improve the basic functions. With the former, fixing of existing bugs is available in the patches. The outdated Operating System is greatly prone to get influenced by BSOD 0x00000109. In this situation, we need to update the OS moving ahead with Windows Settings app. Here is the method in brief –
- Open Windows Settings by pressing Window + I hotkey.
- Select the Update & Security option available there.
- On the next page, select Windows Update located at the left pane.
- Switch to the right side and click on Check for updates.
- When you see all the updates, click on the Download button under each of them.
- Downloading will start shortly and installation will follow once the process is finished.
- At last, wait for a while and then restart the PC when the Windows prompt.
Note – Click here, if the check for updates is not working.
8} Remove Malware to Fix BSOD Error 0x00000109
You might experience the slow performance and sometimes face the weird behavior your PC which actually occurs when your device affected with malware or Trojans. Besides, some other invasive software program comes from a malicious website or a site that attempts to install malware onto your device. They usually need some effort from your side by asking you to install software that your computer appears to require.
Once they enter into our systems, wipe out the most important data required for Windows. This causes the occurrence of BSOD Error 0x00000109 which is really an irritating issue on the device. However, we are able to detect and remove the threats in using Windows Security app which is a default anti-virus program. To perform this task, here are the following instructions –
- Press Windows + S keys to invoke the Taskbar search on the screen.
- Type Security and press Enter.
- When the app interface opens, choose Virus & threat protection.
- Switch to right and click on the Scan options.
- Select the radio button ahead of the Full scan option.
- Click on the Scan now button and start the detection.
- It might take a while as the application will start searching for viruses in every file in the system. Thereafter, the result will appear on the screen.
- During this, if any malware is detected, click on the Clean threats to remove them.
- From the available three more options, select Remove first and then hit Start actions to wipe out all the virus components.
9} Update the corrupt Drivers with Yellow exclamation mark
In general, the incompatible or obsolescent device drivers are the main culprit that causes to 0x00000109 BSOD Error on your device. Therefore, it is important to update your device regularly using the Device Manager. To find out such drivers, just open the Device Manager and look for the yellow exclamation mark ahead of the driver. This implies that the device is conflicting with other hardware or might they are not installed accurately. If indeed there is one, just update that particular driver. Let’s follow the proper steps to do so-
- At first, do a right-click on the Start button and select the Run option.
- When it prompts, type “devmgmt.msc” and press Enter.
- Look for any yellow exclamation marks beside the available device drivers.
- Once you find, expand and do a right-click on the faulty driver.
- After that, choose the Update driver option.
- A new window prompts providing two options to choose from.
- Select “Search automatically for updated driver software” and be assured as the System will take care of the rest.
- Follow the same instructions for other corrupt drivers as well.
On updating all of the outdated device drivers, try to update the Windows OS again and then you won’t experience the 0x00000109 BSOD error while doing so.
10} Delete junk files from Disk Storage using Disk Cleanup Tool
Junk files are annoying extra files that your computer creates while you’re using various programs. It gets piled up over the period of time and becomes worthless once the task at hand is completed. These Files occupy large space of the HDD which leads to low storage and thus causes 0x00000109 BSOD error. It would not be a problem if your device later deleted those files after you finished using them. So, without further ado, let’s see the steps-
- Press the Window key and type cleanmgr in the search field.
- From the appeared results, select the Disk Cleanup application.
- There appears a pop-up asking to choose the particular drive. Here, select the C: drive and hit the OK button.
- This cleanup tool will start searching for the spaces that it can free-up.
- Select the “Clean up system file” button.
- Re-select the C: drive as performed earlier and hit the OK button.
- This time, it does the calculation of how much storage can be retrieved by deleting the system files.
- On the next window, select all the check-boxes except Downloads and press the OK button.
- The cleaning of junk files will start immediately after.
Note – Check the boxes once before deletion as there may be the existence of some important files.
11} Uninstall similar Applications to reduce the risk of their conflict
To mitigate any further complexity, you must uninstall applications that perform similar tasks. If two or more applications have similar kinds of work, there is a possibility of using each other resources and therefore it’s quite essential to remove them. Here are the essential steps-
- At first, press Win & R hotkey to call the Run menu.
- Type appwiz.cpl and click on the OK button. The “Program and features” page will appear.
- Now, find out the program (similar ones) which is responsible to cause CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION BSOD.
- Once you find, select it and click on the Uninstall button.
- At last, restart your system and wait for a while.
If the 0x00000109 BSOD error is still persisting, move to the next workaround given below.
12} Execute the DISM command to repair corrupt Windows files
The System File Checker (SFC) is a command-line application and also a most beneficial tool that scans your system files for repairing corrupted files or any other changes. If a file has been edited or any changed, it will replace that file with the accurate version. Sometimes, corruption in the Windows files may arise some critical issues on your System and in this case, execute the DISM tool to resolve the 0x00000109 BSOD error. Let’s take a look at how to use them –
- Press Window + Q hotkey to open the Taskbar search.
- Type Command Prompt in the text box.
- Right-click on the result and choose Run as administrator from the context menu.
- If UAC prompts, hit the Yes button to give your consent.
- Type the given URL followed by the Enter key.
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- This will start to detect the issue that may lead to such an error. Once found, it will repair them.
- When you run the command successfully, restart your computer normally and this will resolve the BSOD error 0x00000109.
13} Use System Restore to reach to an earlier version
Sometimes, you may experience this issue inside Registry which happens when you install new apps or remove the existing ones and cause 0x00000109 BSOD on your screen. In this case, you must revert to the existing OS to an earlier version where everything was functioning properly. Here’s how to reach to the previous point-
- Press Win+R hotkey to launch the Run dialog.
- Type rstrui in the search field and press the OK button.
- In the System Restore window, hit the Next button.
- Mark the Show more restore points checkbox. This will let you access the entire page with a specific Date and Time.
- Select the latest restore point and press the Next button.
- At last, press the Finish option so as to initiate the restoring process.
Note – This process is applicable only if you have created a restore point at some earlier time. In case, you don’t have any, just skip this method and proceed to the next workaround.
14} Delete leftovers of an incomplete Windows Update
Windows Update brings you the quality updates (or cumulative updates) in a regular way to avoid any defect and enhance the performance. However, there might occur some issues midway during this process which can cause such 0x00000109 BSOD errors. In such a case, you need to wipe out these files from the system. Here are the steps to follow-
- Press Win and I hotkey together, the Settings app will appear.
- From the list of categories, select Update & Security icon.
- On the following page, select Windows Update.
- Move to the corresponding right pane of the same page and choose the View update history link.
- Next, click on the Uninstall updates option and wait till this completes.
- It will reveal the list of entire installed cumulative updates on your device.
- Hit the Uninstall button available at the top of the page.
- Now, follow the on-screen instructions until the file is completely removed.
15} Run Disk Checking Utility via Command Prompt
Usage of any device for a long time may create troublesome in its different sectors. By virtue of having such bad areas, you may receive the 0x00000109 BSOD Error on your PC. In these cases, the Disk Checking application is a quite effective tool that can certainly remove such issues. Here is the detailed procedure-
- Press the Window button and type cmd.exe in the search field.
- Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator option.
- UAC will prompt asking your permission, tap Yes to continue.
- Succeeding this type the following command line on elevated Command Prompt-
chkdsk C: /f /r /x
Note – ‘Chkdsk’ stands for Disk Status upon activation.
The other letters have specific meanings –
- C – represent the Disk where the OS is installed. You can change this to D:, E: or any depending upon your usage.
- f- implies settling the scanned bugs.
- r- implies detecting the existing problems in the Disk.
- x- means to partition of the disk volume and let help the detection process.
- On pressing the Enter key, Disk Checking Utility will start scanning the underlying causes. As this is a time-consuming process, wait until this gets over.
- Eventually, reboot the PC so that changes made come into effect.
16} Perform Windows Automatic Repair to Fix BSOD Error 0x00000109
Performing the Windows Automatic Repair tool may rectify the reasons that affect your system performance. This might solve the BSOD error 0x00000109 once it finds the exact reason. Just follow the below guidelines-
- To enter the BIOS Mode, plug in the Windows installation media at the corresponding port and reboot your PC.
- While loading the OS, press the function key (F12, Esc or Delete).
- When the Windows Setup page opens, select the preferred language.
- Click on the Next button to go ahead.
- On the left bottom corner of the page, hit the Install now and then Repair your computer option.
- Now, expand the Advanced Options, available on the Startup repair window.
- Select the Troubleshoot option.
- Finally, reboot your system normally and see if the BSOD Error 0x00000109 has resolved or not.
17} Rebuild Boot Configuration Data (BCD)
One of the most common reasons behind BSOD Error 0x00000109 is the presence of corrupt Boot Configuration Data. Repairing these BCD files may help you to solve the Blue Screen Of Death issue. Here are the essential steps-
- Firstly, plug in the USB device containing the Windows Installation Media and Reboot your PC.
- So long as the BIOS loads, press any of the supported function keys (F2, F4, F9, Esc, Del, or more) to launch Boot Menu.
- Select the Troubleshoot option and then expand Advanced options.
- Now, choose Command Prompt.
- When the elevated prompt appears, execute the following codes one by one-
bootrec /scanos bootrec /fixmbr bootrec /fixboot bootrec /rebuildbcd
- After running all these codes successfully, restart your system normally.
Performing the above steps will surely allow access to your desktop screen without causing BSOD Error 0x00000109. In case the problem is still available, try the last workaround.
18} Fresh install Windows 10 to Fix BSOD Error 0x00000109
If all methods fail and still the BSOD Error 0x00000109 still persisting, you should clean install Windows 10. This task is a little bit complex and takes a huge time to perform, so it would be better to do this in your free time.
- Plugin the USB flash device to the respective port and Restart your computer.
- While loading, press the function key (Esc, F12, Delete).
- Select any of the languages whichever is preferable and hit the Next button.
- Now, press the Install now followed by entering the genuine product key.
- Mark the box I accept the license terms and select the Next option.
- Subsequently, go for Custom: Install Windows only (advanced).
- Here, delete all the earlier partitions available on the disk drive and re-allocate them again.
Lastly, go through the Onscreen instructions until the Windows 10 installs effectively. Hope this method helps you to diagnose the BSOD error 0x00000109.
19} Corrupt HDD to Fix BSOD Error 0x00000109
Sadly, if none of the above resolutions work for you, there is a likelihood of corruption of HDD RAM. In this case, we advise you to replace your Hard Disk Drive. If you don’t know how to perform this, consult a professional technician. This type of situation is really disturbing when your running PC experiences these errors. Clean installation of Windows 10 is another last hope to get rid of these issues. But before starting it, make sure to create a backup of entire important files or folders. In this case, a USB device is a better option for storing data. Hope after reading this tutorial, you could solve the 0x00000109 BSOD Error on your device.