The Boot Configuration error 0xc0000242 is pretty common that several users encounter while signing into their Windows 10 device. In this, you simply can’t access the desktop screen and repeatedly get a Blue Screen with an error message that reads – “Recovery Your PC needs to be repaired”. Today, in this blog, we discuss the probable reasons and six possible workarounds that fix this boot sector issue.
The Boot Configuration error 0xc0000242 occurs primarily due to missing BCD (Boot Configuration Data) and corrupt Windows integrity. Disk space fully occupied or wrongly configured PC partition may also lead to the above error message. To get rid of this nagging issue, one should run the Startup repair. This method does help to fix the underlying reasons, however, if not, use Disk Cleanup, run SFC as the repairing tool, etc. Besides, the rebuilding of BCD codes and the clean installation of the OS are some advanced solutions to fix this system crashing error. Let’s explore the workarounds in detail –
Fix: “Your PC needs to be repaired” Error 0xc0000242
To solve the Boot configuration error 0xc0000242, use the following methods –
1. Use the Startup Repair
If you are getting the error 0xc0000242 on your system, you must not be able to log into your Desktop Screen. In such scenarios, you should use the Startup repair utility by Microsoft. This will definitely work as a recovery tool to diagnose the ongoing issue. Here’s how to proceed –
- Insert the Windows installation media like USB flash device, DVD and Restart the PC.
- When the BIOS is loading, press the supported functional keys (Del, F2, F5, F9, F11 backspace, etc) to enter inside the boot mode.
- When the Windows Setup page comes up, select your preferred language followed by the Next button.
- Next, move to the bottom and hit Repair your computer.
- Click Troubleshoot thereafter Startup Repair among the six available options. See the Snapshot below –
- After completing the startup repair, Restart your system and check if you can log in to PC normally. If you still encounter the Boot Configuration error 0xc0000242, read the next fixes –
2. Perform Disk Checkup
The missing system files sometimes may also cause “Your PC needs Restart” BCD issue. Hence, one must look for any corrupt files using the Disk-Cleanup tool and repair the same (if found). Here are the steps to work upon –
- Attach the Windows installation media to its respective port and Restart the PC.
- When the Windows Setup starts, select your favorite language then Next to go ahead.
- On the Advanced options page, hit Repair your computer link.
- Afterward, click the Command Prompt option.
- On the elevated prompt, copy/paste the following code and press the Enter key.
chkdsk c: /f /r
- Here, C: is the root drive (where OS lies), change it depending upon your Windows installation drive.
- On the confirmation message, hit Y to authenticate the execution.
Note: If you don’t know which one is the root drive, run the following codes separately –
diskpart list volume exit c: dir
- Lastly, check whether you successfully resolve the Boot configuration error 0xc0000242 or not.
3. Scan the system files using SFC
In case, the error still lies even after performing the disk cleanup, use SFC code to repair the corrupt system files. This is an effective command line that checks and repairs any obsolete files that lie inside your PC. Follow the below procedure to perform this task –
Note: Before proceeding to the following steps, enter into the Safe mode on your PC.
- Type Command Prompt in the search bar (Win & S).
- Do the right-click on the well-matching result and choose Run as administrator.
- When the UAC prompts, tap Yes to allow the access.
- On the elevated wizard, type
sfc/scannowand press the Enter key.
- The scanning process will begin now, wait for a while as this takes a few minutes to complete.
- After completing the task, Restart your PC so as to confirm the recent changes.
4. Rebuild BCD code
Sometimes, the Boot Configuration Data may corrupt itself thus leading to the failed error message, “Your PC needs to be repaired” Error 0xc0000242. To repair such damages, you should rebuild the BCD code using the Bootrec.exe tool. Here’s how to proceed –
- At first, insert the Windows Installation Media at its port and Restart the computer.
- Navigate to the following address sequentially to launch the command prompt.
Language-> Next-> Repair your computer-> Command Prompt
- Near the blinking cursor, execute the following codes one by one –
- If the above codes don’t work, run these alternate codes instead –
bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
attrib bcd -s -h -r
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
- Type exit and press Enter key to come out of the console area.
- Lastly, Restart your PC.
5. Create Boot Configuration Data
After rebuilding the BCD codes, check whether the error 0xc0000242 still prevails or not. If yes, you should create BCD codes manually to solve this issue. Here are the steps to work upon –
Note: The safe mode uses limited drivers and applications to enter the login screen. Hence, open the PC into Safe Mode first then apply the below steps –
- Get the desktop screen, right-click on the Windows icon and choose the Run option.
- On the succeeding dialog, type cmd and simultaneously press Ctrl+Shift+Enter keys.
- If the User Account Control window comes up, tap Yes to permit the access.
- Here, type the command
bcdboot c:\windowsand press the Enter key.
- The above code copies the existing images of BCD files and recreates a similar boot configuration file on the root partition.
- Finally, Restart your system and check if you can access the Windows Screen normally without error 0xc0000242 or not.
6. Clean install Windows 10
In case, all of the above workarounds fail, you are left with the clean installation of Windows as the last choice. This will remove all system files and install the fresh copy of Windows 10. Here is how to do –
Note: The clean Windows installation deletes all documents and you might lose your personal data. Hence, before going through the below steps, make a full backup of the entire OS.
- Firstly, insert the USB device having a BIOS file to its respective port and Reboot your PC.
- When the Windows is loading, press the supportive function keys i.e. Del, F2, F11, F9, ESC or backspace.
- Once you enter into the boot sequence, click Next to launch the Setup wizard.
- Tap the Install now button to proceed further –
- Check “accept the license” terms then Next again to proceed ahead.
- Now, pick the Custom: Install Windows only advanced option.
- On the Windows Setup page, select each partition separately and hit Delete then Next again.
- You will receive the OOBE wizard, follow the onscreen guide to complete the remaining processes.
After completing the above method, hopefully, you will succeed to fix the Boot Configuration error 0xc0000242.