The Boot Configuration error 0xc000014C is a boot sector issue that deprives Windows 10 users of getting their Desktop Screen. Since you are here, you must not be able to sign in to your device normally and rather gets an error message that reads – “Recovery Your PC needs to be repaired”. Well, here in this post, we discuss the possible reasons that have caused this bug in the first place along with five working solutions.
The Boot Configuration Data Error 0xc000014C mostly occurs due to corrupt system files, or when BCD codes become obsolete. To fix this problem, one should first resolve the missing system files using SFC or Disk Cleanup utilities. Perform Startup Repair and Rebuild/Manually Create BCD codes are some advanced solutions to get rid of such Boot configuration errors. In case, none of these methods resolve this bug, use System Restore to revert back to an earlier state or perform a clean boot of Windows 10.
Ways to resolve the Boot Configuration Data Error 0xc000014C
To fix the Boot Configuration Data Error 0xc000014C, use the following methods –
1. Repair corrupt system files using SFC
In most of the cases, this bug pops in due to corrupt system files. It is thereby we suggest using the SFC command-line utility to repair the problematic or missing files. All you need is to run a single code on the command prompt.
Note: Since you won’t be able to log into the Desktop Screen, you must enter the Safe mode on your PC and follow the below steps –
- Hit the Win icon and type cmd in the search bar.
- Make a right-click on the top result and select Run as administrator.
- When the UAC window appears, tap Yes to permit the access.
- On the elevated command prompt, type
sfc/scannowand press the Enter key.
- The scanning process will start immediately, wait for a while as this takes a few minutes to complete.
- Lastly, Restart your PC.
After the next login, check whether it fixes the BCD error 0xc000014C or not. If not, proceed to the next solutions.
2. Use Disk Checkup
Sometimes, system files start missing due to corrupt disk and cause “Your PC needs Restart” Blue Screen error. To get rid of this bug, one should use the Disk-Cleanup tool and repair any corrupt data. Here’s how to proceed –
- Create a Windows installation media and attach it to the respective port on your device.
- Hold down the Power button to shut down your PC.
- After the system shuts off completely, press the Power button again to restart the computer.
- When the Windows Setup begins, select your favorite language then Next to go ahead.
- On the Advanced options page, hit Repair your computer link.
- Click the Command Prompt option on the next screen.
- Copy/paste the following code near the winking cursor and press the Enter key.
chkdsk c: /f /r
- Here, C: is the root drive (where Windows 10 OS exists). In case, you have installed the operating system on some other drive, replace C: with the correct one.
- If the confirmation window prompts, hit Y to authenticate the execution.
Note: If you don’t know which one is the root drive, run the following codes separately –
diskpart list volume exit c: dir
- Lastly, check whether you successfully resolve the Boot configuration error 0xc000014C or not.
3. Perform Startup Repair
If you are still getting the error 0xc000014C on your system, you should use the Startup repair utility by Microsoft. This will definitely work as a recovery tool to diagnose the ongoing issue. Here’s how to proceed –
- Insert the Windows installation media such as USB flash device, DVD and Restart your computer.
- During the BIOS load, press the supported functional keys (Del, F2, F5, F9, F11 backspace, etc) to enter the boot mode.
- When the Windows Setup page comes up, select your preferred language followed by the Next button.
- Next, move to the bottom and hit Repair your computer.
- Click Troubleshoot thereafter Startup Repair among the six available options. See the Snapshot below –
- After completing the startup repair, Restart your system and check if you can log in to PC normally. If you still encounter the Boot Configuration error 0xc000014C, read the next fixes –
4. Rebuild BCD code
Sometimes, the Boot Configuration Data may corrupt itself resulting in the failed error message, “Your PC needs to be repaired” Error 0xc000014C. To repair such damages, you should rebuild the BCD code using the Bootrec.exe tool. Just follow the below steps –
- Insert the Windows Installation Media at its port and Restart your PC.
- Browse to the following address one after another to start the Windows Console.
Language > Next > Repair your computer > Command Prompt
- Now, execute the following codes one after another –
- If the above codes didn’t work, run these codes instead –
bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
attrib bcd -s -h -r
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
- Type exit and press Enter key to come out of the console area.
Restart your computer and check whether it solves the error 0xc000014C or not.
5. Create Boot Configuration Data
Rebuilding the BCD codes should solve the error 0xc000014C. However, if it still prevails, one should manually create the BCD codes using the below steps –
Note: The safe mode uses limited drivers and applications to enter the login screen. Hence, open the PC into Safe Mode first then apply the below steps –
- Right-click on the Windows icon and select the Run option.
- Type cmd at the void and simultaneously press Ctrl+Shift+Enter keys.
- If the User Account Control window prompts, tap Yes to sanction the access.
- Copy/paste the command
bcdboot c:\windowsand press the Enter key.
- The above code copies the existing images of BCD files and recreates a similar boot configuration file on the root partition.
- Restart your PC and check whether you can access the Windows Screen normally without receiving the error code 0xc000014C.
6. Clean install Windows 10
In case, all of the above workarounds fail, you are left with none other than the clean installation of Windows 10. Here’s how to proceed –
Note: The clean Windows installation will delete all files/documents thus depriving you of your personal data. So, before going through the below steps, make a full backup of the entire OS.
- Insert the USB device (containing Windows 10 setup file) to its respective port and Reboot your PC.
- While Windows setup is loading, press any function keys i.e. Del, F2, F11, F9, ESC or backspace.
- After you enter into the boot sequence, click Next to launch the Setup wizard.
- Tap the Install now button to go further –
- Check “accept the license” terms then Next again to proceed ahead.
- Now, check the Custom: Install Windows only advanced option.
- On the Windows Setup page, select each partition separately and hit Delete then Next again.
- When the OOBE Wizard starts, follow the onscreen instruction to complete the remaining processes.
After completing the above method, hopefully, you will succeed to fix the Boot Configuration error 0xc000014C.