Windows PowerShell 7.1 is now available to download/install inside the Microsoft Store or GitHub download page. This new command-line shell features quality fixes and improvements. Besides this, users may now use this console to script languages in order to automate tasks or perform some other changes.
As usual, the new PowerShell commands let you run any command to make changes to the computer. Using this, one can access data stores like – registry, certificate store, file system, etc. Before downloading its setup file, make sure to read the minimum system requirements that are essential to install PowerShell 7.1 on a system.
Ways to install PowerShell 7.1 on Windows 10
You may download and install PowerShell 7.1 either from Microsoft Store or GitHub. Follow whichever option suits you the most –
1] From Windows Store
Sign-into your official Microsoft account then follow these steps –
- Launch Microsoft Store on your computer and type “PowerShell 7.1” in the search field.
Note: Alternatively, you may also visit the official page and click the Get button.
- When the PowerShell page opens up, hit the Get button again.
- The system will check for any compatibility issues and when none found, PowerShell 7.1 gets downloaded and installed automatically.
- When the installation completes, click the Launch button.
PowerShell 7.1 should automatically start on your device.
2] Manually Install PowerShell 7.1 from GitHub
If for any reason you don’t want to get this application from Microsoft Store, visit the PowerShell download page on the GitHub site. Here are the essential steps to work upon –
- Open any of your web-browsers and copy/paste the below link in the address bar –
- Pressing Enter will take you to the PowerShell download page.
- Scroll down and click the drop-down menu left of the Assets section.
- Click over any of the available options based on your use and Operating system. We recommend using this option – PowerShell-7.2.0-preview.1-win-arm64.zip (for 64-bit PCs).
- Users having their PCs running on 32-based system architecture, click PowerShell-7.2.0-preview.1-win-x86.zip.
- You may choose any other options as well given you know how to install a file bearing extensions like –
.tar.gz, .pkg, .msi, or others.
- The system will prompt you to download this file, do the same.
- When the download completes, open the folder containing this file.
- Right-click over the setup file and choose to extract its contents in a separate folder.
- Open the unzipped folder, and double-click the setup file to install PowerShell 7.2 on your device.
After you complete the above steps, PowerShell 7.1 will replace its own older versions on the computer. You may easily launch this application by pressing the Win + X keys altogether.
- OS – Xbox One, Windows 10 version 17763.0 or higher
- Keyboard – Integrated Keyboard
- Architecture – ARM, ARM64, x64, x86
- Random Access Memory – 1 GB