Users often come across scenarios where they would like to create a new folder in Windows 11. They do so to arrange similar files or information together. Sometimes, this is also done to club data in a way that looks fabulous. In this post, we will discuss five different ways by which you can generate new folders on your computer.
Editor Tip: RESTORO is a great software that can automatically find and resolve update, activation, or driver issues on your Windows 11/10 PC. Having this tool ensures that you can use your device to its fullest capacity.
Download: RESTORO PC Repair Tool
Create a new folder in Windows 11 using File Explorer
File Explorer is the file management application used by Windows operating systems to browse folders and files. This lets you create a new folder in three different ways. They are using –
1] Through a Keyboard shortcut
This is the simplest of all tools and lets you create a new folder quite easily when you are inside any folder. Here’s how to do this –
- Open File Explorer (Win + E).
- Browse to the folder where you would like to create a new folder. For example, Documents or Desktop.
- Press Ctrl + shift + N keys on the keyboard to create a new folder.
- Write a name for this folder and hit Enter, the same will appear underneath this folder.
- If you don’t provide a name to this, this will by default be named “New Folder”.
2] Using the Command bar
Alternatively, you may also use the command bar to create a new folder on your Windows 11 PC. To create a new folder using the command folder, do the following –
- Click the explorer icon available on the taskbar.
- When File Explorer opens up, navigate to the folder where you would like to create a new folder.
- On the topmost left corner, you will see the New menu.
- Click on it and then select Folder.
- Type a name for this newly created folder and press Enter.
3] Using the Context menu
The above two methods require you to open File Explorer. However, you may also create a new folder anywhere without even opening this explorer app. For this, you may launch the Context menu and do the following –
Note: This method is useful when you are creating a new folder on the desktop screen itself. Here’s how to proceed –
- Right-click anywhere on the screen and select New > Folder.
- Provide a new name to this folder and hit Enter.
By the end, you will see a new folder available at the chosen location.
Create a new folder via Command Prompt/ PowerShell
If you don’t want to use the conventional ways, you may execute a few commands on the CMD or PowerShell. This method is often useful when you can’t access your file explorer. Here’s how to do this –
1] Using CMD
- Open start (Win + S).
- Search for the Command Prompt, and open it by pressing the Enter key. Alternatively, you may put a right-click on the top result and select Run as administrator.
- When CMD launches, run this code –
Note: Replace “FOLDER-NAME” with the name of the new folder you want to create. Keep the quotation mark only when the folder name contains spaces.
Say, you want to create a new folder at the location – C:\Windows, run these codes –
- First, come out to the root directory by running this code –
- Next, browse to C:/Windows by running this command –
- You may keep on using cd Directory_Name to browse to the relevant directory.
- Once you are there, run this code –
On the completion of the above steps, your new folder or directory will be created in the path, and you can access it from the file explorer as well.
2] Via Windows PowerShell
Another way to create a new directory is through PowerShell. Here’s what you need to execute on its prompt –
- Press Win + X, and select Windows Terminal (Admin).
- This will default launch Windows PowerShell on the terminal.
New-Item -Path "PATH-TO-FOLDER" -Name "FOLDER-NAME" -ItemType "directory"
Note: In the command, replace “PATH-TO-FOLDER” with the path where you want to create the new folder. Similarly, replace “FOLDER-NAME” with the name of the new folder you want to create.
If you are willing to create a new folder in the C:/ drive, run this code –
New-Item -Path "c:\" -Name "myFiles" -ItemType "directory"
Again, you may replace “C:\” with the exact pathname and “
myfiles” with the folder name you are trying to create.
That’s it, I hope you now know how to create a new folder in Windows 11 using both conventional as well as console ways. Let’s know in the comment section if you face any difficulty following this guide.
Tip: If you are facing update, activation, or driver issues on your Windows PC, try RESTORO PC Repair Tool.This software will scan your device for potential issues and resolve them automatically.