CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT is one of the most serious Blue Screen of Death error you’ll confront on Windows 10. This Stop Error 0x00000101 can occur on a Windows system when the specified processor is not processing interferes. Normally, this issue comes into sight when the processor is nonresponsive or is deadlocked. In this state, you will experience an abnormal prompt on the screen and sometimes the device goes shut down by itself to prevent more loss of data. Alongside this, your device may stop working some basic and essential functions which cause the data will be immediately lost.
In addition, this issue mainly occurs when the processor is having problems with the co-operation of its cores and threads. The threads are tasks performed by the cores, where some cores can have many threads at the same moment. However, the main problem is that one thread is waiting for an adequate response from another thread and those responses are not coming. In technical terms, a state where a set of processes are occupied and the processor is not able to continue the processing tasks. It results in because each resource is holding and waiting for another resource taken by some other process. And this process is called Deadlock. So, read out this article to fix this Blue Screen error and prevent it from happening in the future.
How to fix Error 0x00000101 in Windows 10
To fix BSOD Error 0x00000101, us the methods given below –
1} Boot Windows 10 into Safe Mode
You might not be able to operate your device when BSOD CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT occurs. Here we recommend you to start your device into the Safe Mode that came out as savior to perform the resolution. In this special Startup mode, the OS loads a minimal user interface, with only the basic and essential services required for it to do. Read out the following steps to enter into the Safe Mode –
- Click on the Start menu and select the Power button.
- Hold down the Shift key and hit Restart.
- On the Recovery screen, select Troubleshoot and then Advanced options.
- Now on the following page, click Startup Settings.
- Click on the Restart button and let your PC reboot again.
- Several booting processes will be performed here.
- Upon completing the cycle, Startup Settings will appear on the screen.
- Press the F4 function key, Windows 10 is now starting in Safe Mode.
2} Update your BIOS to fix Error 0x00000101
BIOS update is indeed an advanced procedure that installs new firmware for your motherboard. However, the process can be possibly dangerous if you don’t do it properly. In case of being unable to find the Manufacturer’s name in the System Information window, check the website of your motherboard’s manufacturer. Commonly, American Megatrends’ are used for assembling a computer. Furthermore, you can also check Windows Updates for any new edition of BIOS available for your computer. Read out the following steps and be extra careful during the process.
- Invoke the Run dialog box using Win+R together.
- Type msinfo32 in the blank search box and hit Enter.
- Locate BIOS Version/Date under Item list and also note down it.
- Now, open your default browser and visit the manufacturer website for BIOS.
- Download and install the latest version of the application.
- This might take time, therefore if you’re using a laptop, you must ensure to keep the Charger plugged in until installation finishes completely.
- Once the procedure ends successfully, restart the device to make these changes effective.
3} Remove the problematic updates
If removing the existing update solve CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT, you need to prevent that update from installing again. Sometimes, updating the patches using Windows Settings app falls into a complicated situation which eventually causes the issue in Windows 10. In order to fix this issue, remove those files and then check if this error still occurs or not. To do this, follow the steps given below –
- Open Windows Settings using Win+I hotkey.
- Click the Update & Security option.
- Choose Windows Update lying in the left pane.
- On the right side of the page, click on the View update history option.
- Click on the Uninstall updates link.
- Locate the names of recent updates since they are the most likely cause of this issue.
- Do a right-click on it and select the Uninstall option.
- Now, follow the on-screen instruction to complete the procedure.
4} Use the DISM tool to fix Error 0x00000101
If your system holds corrupted Windows Image Files then there’s a high chance to occur CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD on the screen. In this situation, you need to fix this Error 0x00000101 quickly by using the DISM tool in the Elevated Command Prompt. Here are the complete guidelines –
- Open Run dialog box using Win+R hotkey together.
- Type cmd in the text box provided and press Ctrl+ Shift+ Enter at the same time.
- If UAC prompts on the screen, press the Yes button.
- On the following screen, insert following command –
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- Press Enter and wait for a while to execute the process.
5} Run sfc /scannow command
The operating system with missing DLL files and corrupted resources is a possible reason that causes BSOD Error 0x00000101 on the device. To recover the important components, you can rectify these components using a simple tool named System File Checker. This workaround tool will only be effective in an Elevated Command Prompt. Follow the below guidelines to complete the task –
- Press Win+S hotkey together to invoke the Taskbar search.
- Type cmd in the text provided area.
- Right-click on the ‘Command Prompt’ and select Run as administrator.
- When UAC prompts, click Yes to give your consent.
- Input the given command and hit the Enter key –
- Wait for a while and this will find and resolve the entire corrupted system resources.
- Restart your device and check for the Error code.
6} Uninstall similar apps from the system
Sometimes similar applications in the system collide with each other and eventually become the cause to delete system resources. This behavior creates conflict in the smooth operation and ends up in BSOD Error 0x00000101. Here, we need to uninstall these programs with its settings using the below instructions –
- Open the Settings app as we explained above.
- Click on the Apps category.
- Select Apps & features located on the left side.
- In the right pane, find out programs colliding with each other after the list is loaded.
- Expand those by clicking and finally select Uninstall to start the removal.
- When UAC prompts, hit Yes to give consent.
- Keep following instructions coming until these get uninstalled.
7} Perform System Restore
While customizing your device, you may use several programs either from Microsoft or from outside sources. However, several times, it happens that these apps contain similar purposes and try to change the same components of the system. This action creates conflict in the smooth operation and ends up in BSOD Error 0x00000101. Therefore, simply try to uninstall these programs along with its settings and see whether this fixes the problem. Alongside, before performing this resolution, make sure to create a restore point. To do this, follow the given steps –
- Click on the Start button and select the Run option.
- Type rstrui in the empty field and hit the OK button.
- In the System Restore wizard, select Next.
- On the following page, click on Show more restore points.
- Hit the latest one present in the list and also select the Next button.
- Finally, hit Finish to start the process to undo changes and head back to the previous stage.
8} Uninstall the Third-Party Application
Microsoft team developed Windows Security to deal with malicious software using a bunch of Free Anti-virus applications. This anti-malware is quite common and they are free mostly. However, being a third-party app, they often become a cause BSOD Error 0x00000101. Therefore, to remove these applications, follow the steps –
- Open the Run dialog using Win+R keys.
- Type appwiz.cpl in the text box and hit the OK button.
- When Programs and Features window appears, locate the Third-Party Malware Tool in the list.
- Select the app from there and click on the Uninstall option.
- Move with on-screen instructions until it gets removed successfully.
9} Use Disk Checking Tool to fix Error 0x00000101
Hard Disk Volume might experience Bad sectors in it being used for a long time. You have a high risk of getting BSOD Error 0x00000101 in Windows 10 if you have the same poor areas in your HDD. Disk Checking Utility is the best tool to rectify this issue. See how to do it –
- Right-click on the Taskbar and select Task Manager from the appearing list.
- Select the File option, available at the top left the corner.
- Choose Run new task to proceed.
- Once dialog shows up, type cmd in the blank text area.
- Mark the box “Run this task with administrative privileges”
- Press the Enter key to launch Elevated Command Prompt window directly.
- Type the following command and hit Enter –
chkdsk C: /f /r /x
- Disk Checking Utility will start checking for bad areas in the Hard Disk and eventually fix them.
- This process will take a little longer time, therefore, keep patience.
10} Update Corrupt Drivers
Commonly, the incompatible or obsolescent device drivers are the main culprit that causes BSOD Error 0x00000101 on your device. It would be essential to update your device at a regular interval of time using the Device Manager. To explore such drivers, just open the Device Manager and look for the yellow exclamation mark ahead of the driver. This indicates that the device is colliding with other hardware or might they are not installed properly. If there is one, just update that particular driver by using the steps given below –
- Right-click on the Start button and select the Run option.
- Type “devmgmt.msc” and press Enter.
- Look for any yellow exclamation marks before the available device drivers.
- If you find, expand and then do a right-click on the faulty driver.
- From the context menu, choose the Update driver option.
- A new window will appear with two options to choose from.
- Select “Search automatically for updated driver software”
- Follow the same instructions for other corrupted drivers as well.
On updating all of the outdated device drivers, try to update the Windows OS again. Fortunately, this time you won’t experience the 0x00000101 BSOD error while doing so.
11} Run Blue Screen Troubleshooter
Microsoft developed Windows Blue Screen Troubleshooter that can look and resolve the possible BSOD errors. This is an inbuilt Troubleshooter application that locates the root cause of the Blue screen errors and helps you fix them. By default, this section is turned off, hence, enable this tool and follow these guidelines-
- Click on the Start button and then select the Settings Gear Icon.
- From the appearing Settings app, choose Update & Security option.
- Click on Troubleshoot from the left column.
- Switch to the right side and locate the Blue Screen option.
- Select it and hit Run the troubleshooter button.