Microsoft rolls out the first preview of Windows 10 2104 i.e. 21H1 Build 20150 in the Dev Channel (Fast ring). The company has incorporated several new features for the Start Menu, Explorer, IMEs, etc. Furthermore, they bring tonnes of fixes on the first-ever release of its next major feature update – Windows 10 21H1.
Refuting to common believe i.e. Windows 10 21H1 Fe_prerelease, they release Build 20150 with RS_prerelease. Other than this, they pretty much bring the same what was speculated in the Tech world. Additionally, they do add three new sections inside the Windows Subsystem for Linux. Let’s explore this build in detail –
What’s new inside 21H1 Build 20150
Well, Insiders get access to three new Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL). They are GPU compute, WSL install, and WSL update. Let’s learn a bit more about them in detail –
- GPU compute: This allows the Linux binaries to leverage GPU making it possible to do more machine learning development and data science workflows directly in WSL.
- WSL Install: This allows insiders to install WSL just using a single command.
- WSL Update: With this, it now becomes pretty easy to manage the Linux kernel version used by WSL 2 distros. To know more, please read this post on the Windows Command line blog. Or, one can read this post on the Windows Developer blog to get in-depth details on “GPU compute” in WSL.
Other updates for Insiders
New map data inside the Maps app
Previously, Bing Maps announced that they will soon roll out the new TomTom base map data to Bing Maps. Well, Microsoft has already updated the map data inside the Maps app on 21H1 Build 20150.
The software giant hinted that they will slowly update the Maps app for Windows Insiders in the Dev Channel (Fast ring) to use the new map data from TomTom. If you are an insider, check this out, and if any bug chips in, suggest a change over the feedback.
General changes & improvements
- Insiders may try out the new search box on the default app settings pages. As per them, they have done some great work improving the performance of the search box.
- The new Korean IME is now available again for Insiders to use.
- As per feedback, the experts are updating the text of the Settings > Privacy > Location page. They clarified that the icon displayed with the users’ location “ON” will appear on the taskbar.
21H1 Build 20150 Fixes
The Key fixes on Build 20150 are as follows –
- Improved Visual Studio windows with no issues with consistently accepting clicks.
- Reaching out to the Documents and Downloads sections in Settings > Privacy won’t show any broken icon (rectangle) next to their name.
- They resolved an issue with Windows Update wherein it appears blank after an Upgrade.
- No VPN network issues while working inside Settings after an upgrade. Besides, the data usage number in Network & Internet Settings will display the information in Japanese correctly.
- The copy button inside the “Settings > Network & Internet-Status > Properties” will work fine with no lag. Earlier, it was really disturbing when this doesn’t actually copy the contents to the clipboard even after multiple clicks.
- No crash errors while launching Sound Settings.
- Again, No Optimize Drives window position issues even preserving on elevation.
- They addressed a typo error inside the Group policy –
- User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Component > File Explorer > Do not move deleted files to the Recycle Bin.
- The on-screen Keyboard will now predict and display the new set of keywords correctly.
- No “Windows Defender SmartScreen is downloading from OneDrive” error message while launching the OneDrive file inside Explorer.
- They resolved an anomaly wherein Resource Monitor ends up showing CPU usage at more than 100%.
- No qaa-Latn unexpectedly appearing in your list of keyboards after upgrading to recent cumulative updates.
- Microsoft addressed an input-related issue on 21H1 Build 20150. From now onward, even if you enter your credentials wrong, this won’t reset your keyboard language to the default ones.
- Touch Keyboard space bar label won’t disappear even after pressing it while using Japanese curve-flick input in ABC mode.
- With this build release, clicking on any web-link inside another app will redirect you to the default web browser.
- Moreover, they address different bugs related to Search UI.
- Insiders may now use the medium size of the Windows Security app on the Start Home. Besides, they even improve the performance of the Windows Security app.
- No PC bug checking issue after switching to 21H1 Build 20150.
Known issues on Build 20150
There are a few bugs on 21H1 Build 20150 that still needs implementations. They are –
- System crash error with an HYPERVISOR_ERROR bugcheck.
- The update process still hangs for an extended period of time after installing a new Build release.
- The Notepad may fail to reopen files that were automatically saved during a PC upgrade (or restart, if enabled in Settings). However, one may recover the lost document navigating to the below path –